Hello

Options
Hi everyone, I am 59, single and need to loose 36 lbs. My goal is 150 lbs in 3 months. I am doing the Keto diet. I started today and am only allowed 1000 calories per day, most has to be in fat and protein. I was starving today. I am a very active person in the morning but fade out as the day continues. I ride and take care of horses and take care of my 85 year old father who has Alzheimer's and metastatic prostate cancer. I hope to gain encouragement by reading every one else's motivational tools. I am not sure how to befriend others but will figure that out soon! Hang in there every body. You are super stars!

Replies

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,853 Member
    Options
    Hello, and welcome!

I'm wondering where you got that 1000 calorie goal? That's very low, especially if you're active, and extra especially if you're only 36 pounds overweight. (I'm sure 36 pounds feels like a lot. I understand! If you're around 186 now, as I infer, that's about where I started - 183 in my case. As a non-tall woman, I needed to lose more than 36, though. I'm currently in year 7+ of maintaining a healthy weight, now around 130 pounds. I also started at age 59, but am 67 now.)

Keto is fine if you find it helps you manage your appetite, or if you have certain health conditions that require limiting carbs. If you're feeling very challenged, I wonder whether it's helping you? It's not the only way to lose weight, if that's the only relevant issue for you.

MFP doesn't give women a calorie goal below 1200 daily, because for most women we need that much or more to get adequate nutrition and fueling. A few women need to eat fewer than 1200 to lose weight, but they're usually older, quite petite, and sedentary. Eating too-low calories will (obviously) also cause unmanageable hunger.

I hope you can find a good, sustainable course going forward - the results are worth it!
  • MacLowCarbing
    MacLowCarbing Posts: 350 Member
    edited September 2023
    Options
    sandragre wrote: »
    Hi everyone, I am 59, single and need to loose 36 lbs. My goal is 150 lbs in 3 months. I am doing the Keto diet. I started today and am only allowed 1000 calories per day, most has to be in fat and protein. I was starving today. I am a very active person in the morning but fade out as the day continues. I ride and take care of horses and take care of my 85 year old father who has Alzheimer's and metastatic prostate cancer. I hope to gain encouragement by reading every one else's motivational tools. I am not sure how to befriend others but will figure that out soon! Hang in there every body. You are super stars!

Hi there. We've got some things in common.

First of all, I was caretaker for my mother who had Lewy Body Dementia, which is a lot like Alzheimer's. She moved in with me and I cared for her for the last few years of her life. I also cared for my dad when he had cancer, until his death, but that was 25 years earlier. It is rough being a caregiver, but also rewarding in many ways. Lots of ups and downs between precious moments and stress and what feels like rock bottom.

As for diets, I'm also low carb/keto (of the 'dirty, lazy' keto variety) and sometimes I do full-on carnivore fasts occasionally for a few days.

1000 calories per day sounds very low to me too, unless (forgive me, no offense meant) you are extremely short-- like my mother was about 5' tall and 85 lbs and 1000 calories for her per day were fine, but for me at 5'8" it would never fly. (In case you hadn't guessed, I was adopted lol).

But you're very active so it's surprising that you were recommended 1000 calories, I am not surprised you are hungry. Might wanna double-check on that. I've found this a good calculator for calories: https://www.calculator.net/calorie-calculator.html

I usually eat about 1100-1200 myself, but I have mobility issues so I'm not very active, I can't do heavy exercise. My allowance is 1500 but with high fat/high protein, you tend to get very full very easily. If you're new to it, give it a few days to kick in and you'll see what I mean!

I was a full-blown carb addict/binge eater and 374 lbs at my highest, since giving up sugars & carbs and making fat my primary macro, I'm down to 295 and still going strong, and I'm almost never hungry. I eat two nice meals per day, drink a cup of coffee with or after each of them, and I'm good to go for the rest of the day.

Anyway, friend me if you want. Best of luck to you, you got this!

• MacLowCarbing
    MacLowCarbing Posts: 350 Member
    edited September 2023
    Options
    oops double-posted.