Ready to ease back into weight loss. Need advice.

Options
2»

Replies

• sollyn23l2
    sollyn23l2 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    I'm in general agreement that carbs aren't bad if you exercise regularly.

The answers I was hoping to find were what to do if you are experiencing a weight loss plateau. I believe the answer may be in adding more protein-rich foods, but I can't do that at 1400 calories without increasing carbs too, even if I choose to eat less carb-rich food like brown rice and rotis.

Nevertheless, I love the input and advice I got; I'm eager to give it a try.

That's awesome that you're open to advice and thinking about boosting your protein intake! 😊 To figure out your daily protein target, just multiply your weight in pounds by 0.7; that's your sweet spot in grams. I'm currently rocking 156g of protein daily, and you can check out my MFP diary for ideas if you're struggling to hit that goal.

To smash through that weight loss plateau while sticking to 1400 calories, focus on tasty protein sources like chicken breast, fish, and tofu. By cutting back a bit on carb-loaded stuff like brown rice and rotis, you'll have more room in your calorie budget for protein power. Keep an eye on your progress and make tweaks as needed. You've got this! 🚀👍

Using current weight times 0.7 could be major overkill for someone severely obese, and hard to fit into limited calories. 0.6-0.8g per pound of healthy goal weight should be adequate, in most cases. We don't need bunches of extra protein to maintain our fat mass: It's mainly to maintain our lean mass.

Or there's this evidence-based source (one that doesn't sell protein supplements, BTW):

https://examine.com/protein-intake-calculator/
    https://examine.com/guides/protein-intake/

Note that the guide says it can be OK to use a reasonable goal weight as input to the calculator, if materially overweight currently.

The reason many weight loss/fitness experts recommend this is specifically because it is difficult to fit in. If your trying to get 200 grams of protein in, it's really hard to eat cake, cookies, chips, etc (all the yummy things it's so easy to overeat). But yes, definitely not necessary to eat that much protein.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,735 Member
    Options
    sollyn23l2 wrote: »

The answers I was hoping to find were what to do if you are experiencing a weight loss plateau. I believe the answer may be in adding more protein-rich foods, but I can't do that at 1400 calories without increasing carbs too, even if I choose to eat less carb-rich food like brown rice and rotis.

That's awesome that you're open to advice and thinking about boosting your protein intake! 😊 To figure out your daily protein target, just multiply your weight in pounds by 0.7; that's your sweet spot in grams. I'm currently rocking 156g of protein daily, and you can check out my MFP diary for ideas if you're struggling to hit that goal.

To smash through that weight loss plateau while sticking to 1400 calories, focus on tasty protein sources like chicken breast, fish, and tofu. By cutting back a bit on carb-loaded stuff like brown rice and rotis, you'll have more room in your calorie budget for protein power. Keep an eye on your progress and make tweaks as needed. You've got this! 🚀👍

Using current weight times 0.7 could be major overkill for someone severely obese, and hard to fit into limited calories. 0.6-0.8g per pound of healthy goal weight should be adequate, in most cases. We don't need bunches of extra protein to maintain our fat mass: It's mainly to maintain our lean mass.

Or there's this evidence-based source (one that doesn't sell protein supplements, BTW):

Note that the guide says it can be OK to use a reasonable goal weight as input to the calculator, if materially overweight currently.

The reason many weight loss/fitness experts recommend this is specifically because it is difficult to fit in. If your trying to get 200 grams of protein in, it's really hard to eat cake, cookies, chips, etc (all the yummy things it's so easy to overeat). But yes, definitely not necessary to eat that much protein.

Yeah, I suppose it's like the idea that doctors recommend 1200 calorie diets so often, even in cases where that calorie level is silly-low, because they believe (with reason) that people will under-count their calorie intake.

I'm more in favor of treating people like adults.

If someone gets better results - more sated or whatever - eating more protein, that's fine. If they want to reduce consumption of cake, cookies, chips, etc., there are potentially multiple ways to do that, of which eating excess protein is only one.

Grown-ups ought to be able to learn accurate facts, and make their own decisions. Absent pre-existing kidney disease, it seems to be fine to eat more protein than strictly necessary.
  • BodyTemple23
    BodyTemple23 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I love the discussions here.

In my case, it's been four months since I have eaten anything in the junk category.

If I feel like something sweet, I eat a dates-based power snack called Navitas. All ingredients are clean and healthy such as chia seeds and maca powder. I only have 1-2 pieces; no sugar.

The weight loss plateau is puzzling, but I really hope to break through it by adding more protein. I shopped for protein food yesterday. I'll report back after a couple of weeks.
  • cheryls1mx3
    cheryls1mx3 Posts: 97 Member
    Options

I understand your concern. The protein recommendation of multiplying weight in pounds by 0.7 is often suggested for weight loss due to its potential satiating effect and challenge in consuming excessive unhealthy foods. However, scientific consensus varies on exact protein needs, and individual requirements can differ based on factors like activity level, goals, and health status. It's essential to consult with a registered dietitian for personalized advice. 📚🔍

Instead of internet/Google I will consult with studies & journals before giving this advice because new studies come about and can change tomorrow you never know. I refer to research published in reputable journals like the "American Journal of Clinical Nutrition," "Journal of the International Society of Sports Nutrition," or "Nutrition & Metabolism" for studies on protein intake and its relationship to weight loss and fitness goals. These journals often contain studies exploring various protein intake recommendations and their effects. 📖🔬
  • cheryls1mx3
    cheryls1mx3 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I love the discussions here.

In my case, it's been four months since I have eaten anything in the junk category.

If I feel like something sweet, I eat a dates-based power snack called Navitas. All ingredients are clean and healthy such as chia seeds and maca powder. I only have 1-2 pieces; no sugar.

The weight loss plateau is puzzling, but I really hope to break through it by adding more protein. I shopped for protein food yesterday. I'll report back after a couple of weeks.

That's fantastic progress, and it's clear you're dedicated to making healthier choices! Incorporating clean, protein-rich foods can indeed help in breaking through a weight loss plateau. Keep up the great work with your clean eating choices like Navitas snacks; they sound delicious and nutritious! 💪🍏 Stay consistent, and I'm looking forward to hearing about your progress in a couple of weeks. You've got this! 🌟
  • history_grrrl
    history_grrrl Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Just wanted to say that, while not a vegetarian, I’m learning a lot from this thread. It’s also giving me a flashback to my tattered old copy of Diet for a Small Planet and the concept of protein complementarity. I’m curious now to know if that approach is still a useful guide and am reading the comments here with that in mind.
  • AnnPT77
    edited September 2023
    Options
    Just wanted to say that, while not a vegetarian, I’m learning a lot from this thread. It’s also giving me a flashback to my tattered old copy of Diet for a Small Planet and the concept of protein complementarity. I’m curious now to know if that approach is still a useful guide and am reading the comments here with that in mind.

The concept is still useful, but it's now believed (via research) that it's not essential to do the complementing all in one meal at the same time. Reasonably short timespans should be OK. I haven't tried to pin down exact time estimates. (I just eat plenty of protein, try to get more of it from complete/bioavailable sources, and vary the others widely across a day.)
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    Options

I understand your concern. The protein recommendation of multiplying weight in pounds by 0.7 is often suggested for weight loss due to its potential satiating effect and challenge in consuming excessive unhealthy foods. However, scientific consensus varies on exact protein needs, and individual requirements can differ based on factors like activity level, goals, and health status. It's essential to consult with a registered dietitian for personalized advice. 📚🔍

Instead of internet/Google I will consult with studies & journals before giving this advice because new studies come about and can change tomorrow you never know. I refer to research published in reputable journals like the "American Journal of Clinical Nutrition," "Journal of the International Society of Sports Nutrition," or "Nutrition & Metabolism" for studies on protein intake and its relationship to weight loss and fitness goals. These journals often contain studies exploring various protein intake recommendations and their effects. 📖🔬

If the sources you mention recommending calculating protein needs by multiplying CURRENT "weight in pounds by 0.7" rather than LEAN BODY MASS or GOAL weight, I'd be very interested in seeing this.
  • AnnPT77
    Options

@cheryls1mx3, since this seems to be a subject that you've followed, what are you finding to be the most useful recent studies on the topic? Can you suggest links to them? Even the abstracts would be good, but full text even better.

As someone over 60, I've found this study group report useful, but it is from 2013, and it would be helpful to know if there are newer resources, or something(s) speaking to other subgroups' needs.

https://www.jamda.com/article/S1525-8610(13)00326-5/fulltext

Beyond that, I tend to trust Examine.com's analysis of research, and they do have a non-paywalled protein guide in which they're very transparent about the sources they rely on.

Do you have useful insights to add? Thanks!
  • BodyTemple23
    BodyTemple23 Posts: 63 Member
    edited September 2023
    Options
    It's official! I've broken the weight loss plateau!! I've lost three pounds since adding more protein, reducing carbs, and slowing down on my workouts. Yay! :D