Options
2»

Replies

• Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,476 Member
    Options
    sollyn23l2 wrote: »
    Theoldguy1 wrote: »
    Try hanging from a bar as it stretches out the spine also if you strengthen the muscles of the core it takes a lot of stress off of the spine

The bar hang will either feel good or hurt so if the latter don't do it.

Also super good for most shoulder issues.

I really hope this is a joke...
    if you have no underlying shoulder issues it great for shoulders.

Actually per the resources I posted and the Bob and Brad video poste by @Retroguy2000 hanging can help reverse issues causing pain.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,737 Member
    Options
    My fully-credentialed official physical therapist (when I was being PT-ed for shoulder nerve impingement) endorsed dead hangs as safe and possibly beneficial, though he did suggest that I add some scapular pull-ups as well.

I have no idea whether they're safe for someone with degenerative disc disease, though: That would be a good physical therapist question.
  • Retroguy2000
    Retroguy2000 Posts: 1,545 Member
    Options
    The inversion table is basically the same motion related to the back as hanging as @tomcustombuilder mentioned above.
    Yes, but as Mark Lewis pointed out in the vid, you can't grip very long while hanging. Also, the table allows for different angles I think.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,737 Member
    edited January 13
    Options
    The inversion table is basically the same motion related to the back as hanging as @tomcustombuilder mentioned above.
    Yes, but as Mark Lewis pointed out in the vid, you can't grip very long while hanging. Also, the table allows for different angles I think.

Having done both, they feel very different, FWIW. Oversimplifying, the dead hang has a lot of feels in the shoulders and a bit of top-down spinal stretch. The inversion table is more relaxed and feels like there's more extension in the spine and hips, pretty mild shoulder.

I still wouldn't assume either is safe for someone with degenerative disk disease, without personalized medical input of some kind on that question.