Starting a 21 day cleanse next week - any advice?

Options
13»

Replies

• Mslmesq
    Mslmesq Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    Please don't what? Eat vegan for 21 days?

A vegan diet can leave a person lacking essential nutrients if not done right. Doing it as a fad cleanse without sufficient research is not a good idea.

I'm not saying I disagree with you necessarily...although I might disagree that 21 days of eating vegan would do much harm. But you are making quite a few assumptions about the op's particular 'cleanse' they are going to do. If these are your particular concerns, why not ask her?
    I am starting a 21 day cleanse and dextox next week - All the meals are planned out and it is not a starvation cleanse but one that eliminates all the toxins in your body - it is eating mostly Vegan for the 21 days. Anyone ever done this before - seeking advice - thanks

Yup, I already read that. I'm not sure what your point was.
    My point was that my assumptions were based on her OP, which basically says, "Asking you all is my research."

I didn't read it that way. I read it as seeking advice from those that have done it and their experiences with it. I don't see at all though where she asked for our professional opinion of it or research on it. Not sure either of us knows for sure.
  • wanderinggypsy
    Options
    It always surprises me when people think toxins are not ever-present in our world and food and drinks. I guess I just think of toxins as any chemicals that our bodies shouldn't necessarily be dealing with....mercury in fish, various crap chemicals in makeup and soaps, even the pesticides and whatnot that are on food. If people are looking for specific names, I would say look at a box of something processed. If you can't pronounce the names in the ingredient list OR use it in an every day sentence, it's probably not that good for you!

That's not to say our livers can't process most of this gunk out, but to insist that we don't need to worry about toxins is a bit naive at best.

IMO, I don't see a harm in doing a 21 day cleanse, as long as you're still getting all your nutrients, stay hydrated, and listen to your body. If you start to get dizzy or feel unwell, then stop.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    "This cleanse is so simple and so powerful. For three weeks, you will refrain from eating what I call “The Big Five”:

caffeine
    alcohol
    gluten
    animal products
    and refined sugar.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with that. It's not what I would choose to live, but really, there's nothing even remotely worrisome about 3 weeks of eliminating those things.
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    Skip the cleanse.. eat fruit, fiber and protein and avoid processed and pre cooked

It'll take less time too. :)

I sit int he sauna too.. I know that doesn't' really help, but i like to pretend it does. :p
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    "This cleanse is so simple and so powerful. For three weeks, you will refrain from eating what I call “The Big Five”:

caffeine
    alcohol
    gluten
    animal products
    and refined sugar.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with that. It's not what I would choose to live, but really, there's nothing even remotely worrisome about 3 weeks of eliminating those things.
    Except if you don't replace the nutrients you get from animal products (sufficient protein, B12, B6 and many others), even three weeks can cause some pretty serious damage.

It doesn't take long for major changes like this to affect the body. I used to be able to do a good 50 pushups, no problem. I broke my wrist and elbow and in seven weeks of not using my arms, I couldn't even do one. I did not have the strength to lower and raise my own body weight just from that short period of decreased use. And I didn't deprive my body of vitamins and minerals it needed.
  • Mslmesq
    Mslmesq Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options

caffeine
    alcohol
    gluten
    animal products
    and refined sugar.

Except if you don't replace the nutrients you get from animal products (sufficient protein, B12, B6 and many others), even three weeks can cause some pretty serious damage.

Again, if these are your concerns, why not ask her. The particular one she is referring to may very well take this into account.

It is important to have knowledge of supplements on any restricted diet, although I've never seen anything to indicate that deficiencies of the things you name can ever occur within a three week period. As I don't know for sure, I'd happily look at anything you are referring to.

It IS however, and I do agree, very important to have knowledge on potential deficiencies in restricted diets. Anyone that even limits meat consumption (including vegetarians and pescetarians) should probably test their vitamin b12 levels and/or use supplements. I found this out the hard way....but, only after a year and a half of limited red meat consumption.

Here is a link with some info: http://vegetariannutrition.net/docs/B12-Vegetarian-Nutrition.pdf
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Iif you eat food, you are going to consume toxins. Many vegetables contain low levels of toxins even if they are raised in an environment free of man-made toxins (which is pretty difficult). That's why we have organs to deal with the toxins.

But there is nothing wrong with trying to lower the amount of toxins you consume, and nothing wrong with eating mostly vegetables as long as you are getting proper nutrition.

Good luck.

what "toxins" are these exactly? can you first define "toxins" and then name the toxic substances found in vegetables?

Or you could google it.

https://www.google.com/#q=natural+toxins+in+food
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

caffeine
    alcohol
    gluten
    animal products
    and refined sugar.

It doesn't take long for major changes like this to affect the body. I used to be able to do a good 50 pushups, no problem. I broke my wrist and elbow and in seven weeks of not using my arms, I couldn't even do one. I did not have the strength to lower and raise my own body weight just from that short period of decreased use. And I didn't deprive my body of vitamins and minerals it needed.

If you start doing pushups again, it should come back quickly. I had a foot injury that meant no weight at all on one leg for a month. My leg muscle visibly wasted, at the end of the month I could not even stand on the leg. It took less than a week to be able to walk normally and less than 3 weeks to have the muscles back where they were pre-injury.

But muscle atrophe due to non-use is a completely different subject. There are millions of healthy people that don't eat meat.
  • garber6th
    garber6th Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    I think when someone says they are going to do a "cleanse", there is a negative connotation to that because really most "cleanses" are B.S. and lead you to believe that something special will happen, and most people who want to do a "cleanse" really don't get that. People are so quick to jump onto whatever bandwagon they think is going to take them on a shortcut. They really need to think about what they are doing and why, and how it might affect them.
  • cedder1
    cedder1 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I have heard this is nothing more than getting rid of water weight.........you will gain it back once you starte eating normal again.
  • redladywitch
    redladywitch Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    :noway: Don't do this.
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    Don't