Help me!

Options
2»

Replies

• history_grrrl
    history_grrrl Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    As others have said, give it time. Last week, my scale didn’t move for five days. Then I ate out with visitors multiple times, thought, “Oh, crap, now it’ll be even worse,” and weighed myself this a.m. with trepidation. Guess what? Two pounds down. I know the theory of fluctuation, but once you see it in action, it’s a lot easier to accept day-to-day anomalies without feeling discouraged - or at least that’s how I feel now.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,919 Member
    Options
    Hey y’all! So I am frustrated that this morning, so wanted to come here for some advice. I’ve been eating great the past couple weeks. All weekend I stayed under my calorie goals.

Yesterday I was 480 calories under my goal (if you added in the exercise calories which I did not add back in). I only ate 1,200 calories and did a 20 min HIIT workout. I also drank lots of water. However I gained weight instead of lost.

I am on antiobiotics and a steroid for a throat infection, maybe that’s affecting my weightloss? But either way, I don’t like seeing the scale go up when I’m putting in so much work. Lol

I have 60-80 lbs I want to lose, so it’s not like there is a shortage of fat loss to shed.

Am I not eating enough? Any good macro calculators you can recommend?

Thanks in advance :)

I’m determined to reach my goals.

Hi Alyssa! The throat infection could definitely be contributing. Also, where are you in your menstrual cycle? Many women gain at ovulation as well as premenstrually.

This is much more typical:

ulcafpsnrdek.png
  • AlyssaP1987
    AlyssaP1987 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    Hey y’all! So I am frustrated that this morning, so wanted to come here for some advice. I’ve been eating great the past couple weeks. All weekend I stayed under my calorie goals.

Yesterday I was 480 calories under my goal (if you added in the exercise calories which I did not add back in). I only ate 1,200 calories and did a 20 min HIIT workout. I also drank lots of water. However I gained weight instead of lost.

I am on antiobiotics and a steroid for a throat infection, maybe that’s affecting my weightloss? But either way, I don’t like seeing the scale go up when I’m putting in so much work. Lol

I have 60-80 lbs I want to lose, so it’s not like there is a shortage of fat loss to shed.

Hi Alyssa! The throat infection could definitely be contributing. Also, where are you in your menstrual cycle? Many women gain at ovulation as well as premenstrually.

ulcafpsnrdek.png
    Ovulation week
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,919 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »

ulcafpsnrdek.png
    Ovulation week

Yeah, I used to retain 2-3 pounds of water when I ovulated.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,674 Member
    edited September 2023
    Options
    Nobody has brought this up, which has surprised me, and I've been trying to avoid being the one to yet again comment on something similar.

Each of us, especially as we age, (can) have health challenges that affect aspects of our lives and introduce limitations making some things good ideas and some things less so.

ED ideation can manifest in people with no previous history just by engaging in a large deficit for a long period of time.

Things are even more dicey for people who are already susceptible.

And you're definitely discussing large deficits on a percentage basis for you.

Because using large deficits that exceed 15-20% of your TDEE is the only way you could have lost weight continuously in the past--at a rate that was overwhelming natural weight fluctuations.

If a self declarared alcoholic who has been doing great not drinking for the past couple of years walks up to you and says "should I drink two glasses of wine at lunch or one hard cider for lunch and a beer in the evening" what answer would you give them?

You're asking about macros and counting calories and restricting food intake to the minimum while exercising.

I would urge extreme caution and some real talk with your medical/counselling support structure.

Is your current body weight a danger to your health? Because trying to manipulate it to where you want it to be sounds like it has the potential to be.

Move carefully, deliberately, with support. And consider your overall health first and foremost. Take care.
  • AlyssaP1987
    AlyssaP1987 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    Nobody has brought this up, which has surprised me, and I've been trying to avoid being the one to yet again comment on something similar.

Each of us, especially as we age, (can) have health challenges that affect aspects of our lives and introduce limitations making some things good ideas and some things less so.

ED ideation can manifest in people with no previous history just by engaging in a large deficit for a long period of time.

Things are even more dicey for people who are already susceptible.

And you're definitely discussing large deficits on a percentage basis for you.

Because using large deficits that exceed 15-20% of your TDEE is the only way you could have lost weight continuously in the past--at a rate that was overwhelming natural weight fluctuations.

If a self declarared alcoholic who has been doing great not drinking for the past couple of years walks up to you and says "should I drink two glasses of wine at lunch or one hard cider for lunch and a beer in the evening" what answer would you give them?

You're asking about macros and counting calories and restricting food intake to the minimum while exercising.

I would urge extreme caution and some real talk with your medical/counselling support structure.

Is your current body weight a danger to your health? Because trying to manipulate it to where you want it to be sounds like it has the potential to be.

Move carefully, deliberately, with support. And consider your overall health first and foremost. Take care.

Thank you for your response. I’m currently seeing a therapist and I am seeing a psychiatrist tomorrow (for my adhd, anxiety) I’ll chat with them about it. You’re right, my therapist doesn’t want me calorie counting, but I do need to lose about 60-80 lbs for sure. So I feel like in order to do that I have to work at it. I’ll talk with them tomorrow. Thanks!