Bioimpedance home scale or in body scan at gym?

Options
I have a home scale that measures body fat, etc but a few months ago I got an in body scan at a gym and there was considerable difference in body fat percentages( I think somewhere between 5.5-6% body fat higher on home scale when done within 15 minutes of each other). So I’ve just been increasing my home scale percent by that much. What are other people’s experiences with this? I am aiming for 25% or lower body fat. I am female 5’4” and weigh 122 pounds.

Replies

• Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,354 Member
    Options
    The scan at the gym was while standing on something and perhaps holding something in your hands?

Both measurements are likely unreliable, because they just measure an electrical current going through your body to estimate your bodyfat etc. (bio-impedance scales).
    From my experience, just having dry versus sweaty hands/feet can skew the results.

At best (if used under identical circumstances every time, and only comparing readings on the same machine) they can give an indication of the trend, but I wouldn't put much faith in either number.

Other options:
    - there are calculators that estimate body fat based on physical measurements (waist circumference, etc.), for example https://www.omnicalculator.com/health/army-body-fat and https://www.omnicalculator.com/health/navy-body-fat (body measurements can be a bit hit and miss, in my experience anyway, regarding the precise spot where you measure)
    - at some gyms you can have your bodyfat estimated based on caliper measurements (the person using the calipers needs to know what they're doing)
    - Dexa scans are theoretically more reliable (but in reality still vary according to the machine calibration etc.)
    - visual assessment based on comparison pictures: I recently found this page, which is somewhat helpful: https://mennohenselmans.com/understanding-body-fat-percentages-for-women-a-visual-guide/
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,121 Member
    Options
    Why are you fixated on body fat percentage? It's really difficult to measure body fat and to be accurate you'd need to outlay $$.

The best way to change your body comp once you're at a reasonable weight is by lifting weights...are you doing that? https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10177803/recomposition-maintaining-weight-while-losing-fat/p1

Can you let go of that number and use other ways of measuring your success?
  • Retroguy2000
    Retroguy2000 Posts: 1,588 Member
    Options
    As Lietchi said, both estimates you got are likely wrong, with the gym one being slightly wrong and the home scale being very wrong.

Navy method is a convenient home option. And if you're in the habit of measuring your waist, or taking pics to compare progress, that will tell you more than any scale will. Lift weights too, to improve body composition.

Mark Lewis here with his wife, key part at 15m in, should be time stamped. She was focused on her weight, the number on the scale. She started lifting and working out more. She gained 4.4 pounds while greatly improving body composition and posture, and she likes the way she looks here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KUXjbINwTfA&t=900s
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,708 Member
    Options
    They both are probably the same. The best way to check for improvement is the mirror and how your clothes fit.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 35+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • westrich20940
    westrich20940 Posts: 889 Member
    Options
    I also have a bluetooth scale that measures all kinds of extra stuff in addition to just weight. It's not necessarily accurate for the other stuff but I figured I'd just look at the trends. Seems reliable at least to see if stuff is moving up or down...but I don't take the actual body fat % to be accurate.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,872 Member
    edited September 2023
    Options
    I also have a bluetooth scale that measures all kinds of extra stuff in addition to just weight. It's not necessarily accurate for the other stuff but I figured I'd just look at the trends. Seems reliable at least to see if stuff is moving up or down...but I don't take the actual body fat % to be accurate.

That's my experience as well, with the caveat that once in a while I get a weird individual reading that's best totally ignored. Translating the % and my body weight into estimated fat pounds, there are times when it thinks I gained or lost multiple pounds of fat overnight or over a couple of days, when I'm pretty darned sure that did not happen.

OP, reinforcing what others said: If you want lower body fat, but want to look good, get good overall nutrition (especially but not exclusively ample protein), maintain your weight or gain ultra-slowly**, and follow a good progressive weight lifting program. (That's how all the fitness influencers got the bodies they have - outside of the photoshop part - no matter what nonsense they try to sell you along with their "get toned in 6 weeks" $$$ program.)

** You're already at BMI 20.9, toward the lower side of the normal BMI range. You'd hit officially underweight at 108. That's unlikely to be a good look on anyone.

I figure I got down around 25% body fat when I lost weight. It changed my life in exactly zero ways. An arbitrary number is meaningless. Shoot for health and fitness, use your appearance as a guide if that's important to you.