Trying to gain weight by eating and workouts

Options
I am a 26 year old male struggling to gain weight. I am trying lose this toothpick shape

Replies

• orrinprice66
    orrinprice66 Posts: 2 Member
    edited September 2023
    Options
    What is your overall goal, are you trying to gain strength or build bulk muscle? It is something that takes time but if you stick with it you will se results.
  • Mark031111
    Mark031111 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    you can do some strength training and cardio, you need to consume more calories than your body burns, eat more carbs and healthy fats and take some protein supplements will help
  • rimcdave
    rimcdave Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Old Starting Strength technique used by High School Football players - Lift heavy compound exercises and drink a gallon of milk a day (GOMAD). It's cheap and effective and it works.
  • williamsonmj1
    williamsonmj1 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    jbxvhy6j84 wrote: »
    I am a 26 year old male struggling to gain weight. I am trying lose this toothpick shape

The way to do this is well known.

For lifting, get on a program that was designed by professionals and which includes compound movements and lower body work (deadlifts and squats). Stick to the program consistently, try hard. The weights need to increase continuously. It will take you a few years to get an appreciable amount of muscle, so be patient.

For eating, high calorie, high protein will be your friend. A 200g ribeye steak (which is small in my opinion) has around 550 calories and 50g of protein. I can easily eat a 400g or 500g one in one meal. Lasagna, made with a lot of meat sauce, is also a good high-protein calorie bomb. Meat Loaf made with oats rather than breadcrumbs is also very good. I have protein overnight oats for breakfast every morning, and that is also a calorie/protein bomb and completely delicious. As I am dieting I only eat around 450 calories worth. It seems a tiny amount- I could eat 900 calories worth easily.

You need to eat more, so in general pay attention to palatability. If you already know about this, apologies. If you don't, then in short don't be shy with healthy fats (e.g. olive oi) and salt. And finishing food with some acid (e.g. lemon juice, lime juice, vinegar) is also great. It may be that you don't eat much because all your food is bland.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,538 Member
    Options
    rimcdave wrote: »
    Old Starting Strength technique used by High School Football players - Lift heavy compound exercises and drink a gallon of milk a day (GOMAD). It's cheap and effective and it works.
    Lol, that doesn't work well if you're lactose intolerant. You can by milk that is lactose free but it cost much more.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 35+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,538 Member
    Options
    From my experience, usually young men who believe they actually eat alot, really don't. So if you're really thin, then load up on calories. I started out that way and then just started eating a lot of high calorie foods. I'm talking burgers, pizza, pasta, etc. I went from like eating 1600 calories a day to 4000. And I did put on mass. Went from 126 to 150 in a matter of a few months.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 35+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png