Got a suggestion on how to improve MyFitnessPal? Share it in this category or vote to tell us what you think of other people’s suggestions. Please be sure to review the Feature Suggestion submissions guidelines.

"1 Slice / 1 Serving" = No Help At All

Options
mtins71
mtins71 Posts: 11 Member
I am sure this has been brought up before but I couldn't find any history.

When people post their food items in the data base, store bought or homemade / personal recipes, it would be really helpful - to me at least - if they could avoid simply entering, "1 piece", "1 slice", "1 portion", "1 serving", "1 container", "1 muffin" (for example) etc. etc. No weights (grams, ounces etc.) and no relative portion / serving size.

While I am sure that the person posting these entries thought it would be helpful for the larger MFP community, these entries are simply not helpful to others looking for a close match or comparison (looking at calories, macros, micros etc.).

PLEASE add to your data base food entries some weight or size notation so that it can provide greater value.

Thank you in advance! 🙏👍
2 votes

Active · Last Updated

Replies

• Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,127 Member
    Options
    Units can be useful in some instances, but only for packaged foods where the size is 'standardised' (and indicated on the label).

There are plenty of food database entries that have weight/volume indicated instead of units like slices etc. It's just a matter of finding them :smile: That's the downside of the user-based food database, lots of 'garbage' entries! (even the foods with weight indications aren't necessarily correct)

I think MFP is working on a project to improve the database in that regard, but no idea on the projected timing or even details on what they're working on.