Calorie intake vs training

Options
So without trying to sound like a complete noob. I’ve always had a bit of trouble gaining weight, I now realise how important diet is.
I am current consuming 3500 calories a day. Made up off 315g protein, 360g carbs, 100g fats.

If I burn 500 calories during a gym session should I be making that up. Meaning should I be consuming an additional 500 calories on training days. And if so, what break down of protein, carbs and fats should that be?

34yr M, 84kgs. Training 6 days a week. Mix of weight and interval cardio.

Replies

• sollyn23l2
    sollyn23l2 Posts: 1,621 Member
    Options
    So without trying to sound like a complete noob. I’ve always had a bit of trouble gaining weight, I now realise how important diet is.
    I am current consuming 3500 calories a day. Made up off 315g protein, 360g carbs, 100g fats.

If I burn 500 calories during a gym session should I be making that up. Meaning should I be consuming an additional 500 calories on training days. And if so, what break down of protein, carbs and fats should that be?

Since you're trying to put on weight, yes. But that depends on if you're actually burning an extra 500 and whether you're currently already gaining on your current daily calorie intake.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,394 MFP Moderator
    Options

If you are struggling to gain weight, look at the stickies (are you a hard gainer). Second, doing interval training will likely make it harder. So why not just turn that into mild walking for your cardio.

Macros, get 160-190g of protein, and fill the rest out based on preference. 300g of protein is unnecessary and going to make it harder to get in calories since protein will fill you up.

And last, if you aren't on a structured lifting program, i would recommend it.