ABS ARE MADE IN THE KITCHEN?

Options
Hi y'all! I've had 2 c sections, and unfortunately I have the pouch. or shelf. or whatever you wanna call it. I was just wondering what type of foods to eat to get rid of it and whatnot. Any advice is helpful.

Replies

• explosivedonut
    explosivedonut Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    How to get rid of it: Eat less of whatever you are eating. Exercise more than you currently are. Abs magically appear after hitting correct body fat %.
  • Visique
    Options
    look into IIFYM and track macros.
  • Alehmer
    Alehmer Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    Sometimes if there's scar tissue that can be very, very hard to deal with.

Generally though, yes, it doesn't matter how hard your abs are if they are covered by fat.
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,661 Member
    Options
    simple calories in vs. calories out is really what you should focus on if the goal is to lose fat.

there really isn't any particular foods that will make it easier or harder for you to lose weight as long as you hit your calorie and macro goals.

Scientifically, the above is true, but in the real world there maybe some foods you want to avoid, but you are the best judge of that.

For instance, if you truley have a problem stopping at just one donut, then maybe you should avoid donuts or otherwise be cognisant of that and deal with it.
  • InForBacon
    InForBacon Posts: 1,508 Member
    Options
    Bacon
  • virsamajor
    virsamajor Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Try to build your diet around lean meats and a lot of veggies, nuts, some fruit, little starch, and as little (or no!) sugar as possible. Try to balance carbs/protein/fats at each meal (the Zone philosophy recommends 40/30/30 or so). Keep your focus on as clean a diet as possible, throw some strength training in there, and you'll be unstoppable! Good luck! :)
  • virsamajor
    virsamajor Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    PS: Here's an example of what Zone + physical activity will get you (she goes into it in the blog post, but check out those pics!) http://theascentblog.com/zone-progress-photos/
  • LittleAngelamj
    LittleAngelamj Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    plenty of fruits and vegetables, less meat and carbs and drinks lots of water and also get plenty of cardio in.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    plenty of fruits and vegetables

sounds good
    less meat

Why...protein is very good for you...and if you're trying to lean out and change your body composition, you needs the protein...
    less...carbs

Why...active individuals rarely have issues with insulin sensitivity and carbohydrates. Carbs aren't the devil...just the latest and greatest dietary boogie man.
    lots of water

'course...
    get plenty of cardio

cardio is great for your heart and cardiovascular system...it also burns some calories...but it does very little for body composition. Resistance training molds the body, not endless hours droning away on an elliptical. I'd say OP should be doing her cardio and resistance work...not over-killing it on cardio.
  • cadaverousbones
    cadaverousbones Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    lots of veggies, lean proteins (chicken, fish, tofu, tempeh, quinoa...) low carbs... whole grains are the best if you are going to have bread/pastas etc. Stay within your calorie goal and also watch the macros (carbs, protein, fiber, sugar, fat)
    I would also suggest doing cardio to burn fat and strength training to get toned and build muscle.
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    eat proper portions of real food.

Don't eat diet foods

LIFT
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,661 Member
    Options
    actually avoiding diet food is good advice.

its full of junk that your liver has to filter out of your blood. your liver's other job is to metabolize fat that is already stored in your body. if its busy doing one job it can't do the other as effectively. thats the best explination as to why diet food is bad that i've heard anyway.

on the other had i say it still has its place. ever since my dwi, diet pepsi has become my party drink lol.

like everything else, if its used in moderation its not a problem.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    In the case of a post c-section belly, you're going to want to strengthen those ab muscles in addition to losing % body fat (kitchen). Part (and only part!) of that pooch is likely due to weakened muscles. Google specific exercises to help after a c-section.

Also, make sure you don't have diastasis recti. If you do, the type of exercises you need to do to fix that are different. Some standard ab-strengthening exercises can make diastasis recti worse, which is why you want to make sure you don't have it before you start.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    plenty of fruits and vegetables

sounds good
    less meat

Why...protein is very good for you...and if you're trying to lean out and change your body composition, you needs the protein...
    less...carbs

Why...active individuals rarely have issues with insulin sensitivity and carbohydrates. Carbs aren't the devil...just the latest and greatest dietary boogie man.
    lots of water

'course...
    get plenty of cardio

cardio is great for your heart and cardiovascular system...it also burns some calories...but it does very little for body composition. Resistance training molds the body, not endless hours droning away on an elliptical. I'd say OP should be doing her cardio and resistance work...not over-killing it on cardio.

Yeppers.