Vacation with Relatives Advice

Options
2»

Replies

• HeyJudii
    HeyJudii Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    I probably should have mentioned in my original post that I have an ED.
    Addicts don't get to have, "just one drink". And people prone to binge eating, purging and starving themselves, don't get to have "just a little bite". It very quickly becomes a very slippery slope.

But I was just trying to keep it light and stick to my current concerns - the upcoming vacation, and didn't give enough details. Sorry for the confusion.
    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • spacetreemonkey
    spacetreemonkey Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    HeyJudii wrote: »
    Addicts don't get to have, "just one drink". And people prone to binge eating, purging and starving themselves, don't get to have "just a little bite". It very quickly becomes a very slippery slope.

But I was just trying to keep it light and stick to my current concerns - the upcoming vacation, and didn't give enough details. Sorry for the confusion.
    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Sorry to hear about your ed. I think you got some brilliant responses. I'll have to use some of the answers myself. Please don't be tempted to delete the thread.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,999 Member
    Options
    ED or not...

That might help explain a little of your family's worries and comments, though. If they knew about your previous struggles they would understandably be a little overly anxious. Other people don't really know how to deal with addiction if they haven't gone through it. A little grace on your part will go a long way.

I learned that it isn't so much about what other people do or say in the end. It's about how I react. Take a beat, a breath, move on. Be the kind and generous daughter, ready to forgive. You'll come home happy that you controlled your own behavior - which is all any of us can do.

I loved "Dance Of Anger." She had some other "Dance Of" books I also read.

• sollyn23l2
    sollyn23l2 Posts: 1,634 Member
    Options
    HeyJudii wrote: »

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

You absolutely have the right to eat however/whatever you want. This includes starving yourself, binging, and everything in between. From your family's pov, they are very likely concerned you are in a purge cycle, and are worried that this will lead to binging, then more purging. Maybe you are. I don't know, because I don't know you. But your family does know you. Unfortunately, the more defensive you become, the more convinced they will be that you are in a purge. Which makes sense, because that's what people in a purge do (I'm just watching what I eat, I already ate, leave me alone with my problematic food choices... etc. etc.) So, in the end, there's no easy answer.
  • HeyJudii
    HeyJudii Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    Note: My family knows nothing about the ED which developed after I had moved thousands of miles away.
  • herringboxes
    herringboxes Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    ED or not...

That might help explain a little of your family's worries and comments, though. If they knew about your previous struggles they would understandably be a little overly anxious. Other people don't really know how to deal with addiction if they haven't gone through it. A little grace on your part will go a long way.

I learned that it isn't so much about what other people do or say in the end. It's about how I react. Take a beat, a breath, move on. Be the kind and generous daughter, ready to forgive. You'll come home happy that you controlled your own behavior - which is all any of us can do.

I didn’t hear any “worry” or “anxiety” described. I heard “control” and “toxicity.”

If anything, I would think the family behavior was on the causal side of the ED, rather than the effect.

• pony4us
    pony4us Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I hope that you have discussed your fears with your treatment team, they know you better than strangers on the internet. I hope you do enjoy this time with your family. I am 75 years old. My family was loud and scrappy. I would give anything to hear my mother and her sister fighting, and my grandmother telling them to cut it out...but the visits ended with hugs and love. They are all gone now. Treasure this time.
  • herringboxes
    herringboxes Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    Pony, I think it’s lovely that you have such warm memories of your family. Not all families end up with hugs and love. For some it is quite the opposite. For such people, it is hard to hear that they should be “treasuring” putdowns, dismissals of bodily autonomy, and so on. If the OP generally feels safe with their family I am sure they will proceed accordingy. If they do not, advice to “treasure” unsafe family members plays right into the goals of toxic people.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,950 Member
    Options
    ED or not...

I didn’t hear any “worry” or “anxiety” described. I heard “control” and “toxicity.”

If anything, I would think the family behavior was on the causal side of the ED, rather than the effect.
    Pony, I think it’s lovely that you have such warm memories of your family. Not all families end up with hugs and love. For some it is quite the opposite. For such people, it is hard to hear that they should be “treasuring” putdowns, dismissals of bodily autonomy, and so on. If the OP generally feels safe with their family I am sure they will proceed accordingy. If they do not, advice to “treasure” unsafe family members plays right into the goals of toxic people.

As someone whose toxic family members last year ripped the scabs off of childhood wounds, I am really appreciating your comments on this thread.