Sleep Tracker Recommendation

Options
Hello,
I’ve been doing some research on sleep tracking devices and from what I’m reading, the Oura Ring looks good for specifically tracking sleep. Does anyone have the Oura Ring that can share their experience wearing it?

There is also an overwhelming amount of watch style brands that also track sleep so I’m hoping to receive some recommendations to narrow down the search.

(The fitness tracking is a bonus but sleep is the priority)

Thank you

Replies

• hollicedickens873
    Options
    I have the Oura Ring. It took a little while to understand their readings, but it has been very helpful.
  • Oldmfp
    Oldmfp Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I use samsung health app and it tracks sleep even when I forget. Most other apps dont track unless u activate it
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,436 Member
    Options
    My Garmin says it tracks my sleep, and other people are happy with the device's results.

I think it's complicated: I have some serious sleep disruption problems. I have sleep apnea (treated with a CPAP which I use religiously) and a weird kind of sleep interruption insomnia where I wake up every 90 minutes or so, but typically go back to sleep easily within a minute or two (without moving much).

Last time I had an in-hospital sleep study, I looked at my Garmin sleep details with the technician who'd spent all night monitoring all of the devices hooked up to electrodes all over my body (plus a special CPAP) and watching through a night camera. Comparing the Garmin view to all of that . . . we both laughed and laughed.

There are studies and research findings that suggest that this sleep-monitoring technology is limited in accuracy, though improving as time goes on. My suspicion is that the more a person needs sleep monitoring - in other words, the more distorted and unusual their sleep patterns - the more likely the results are to be just plain wrong.

Mine often thinks I was asleep when I was verifiably awake and reading or texting, and sometimes thinks I was awake when I was asleep. It's hilarious.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,443 Member
    Options
    I have a Garmin watch, and used to have a fitbit before. The fitbit thought I woke up at least 20 times each night. The Garmin doesn't notice when I wake up, grab my phone and surf the net for 30 minutes. Mind you, I did have a sleep study where I could not sleep due to all the sensors and did the same, for longer periods at a time. The doctor said I slept very well and restful the whole night. Until I asked him to review the video footage. Yeah. I guess I'm so chill that even devices think I sleep when I don't 🤣

Anyway, devices calculate something. But how true it is? I don't know. I find that the combination of stress reading over night and HRV fits quite well with how good I slept. Sleep phases? I have no idea and rather see it as something funny to look at.
  • TheUnhealthyDad
    TheUnhealthyDad Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I just started using the Fenix 7 pro. My sleep is awful. I only get 4-5hrs a night and I wake multiple times during those hours. I also have sleep apnea and use a machine.
  • Hobartlemagne
    Hobartlemagne Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I have a samsung 3 watch that analyzes sleep. It also counts steps and exercise. It will pair to the MyFitnessPal app too.
    I guess thats and endorsement. I like it.