Got a suggestion on how to improve MyFitnessPal? Share it in this category or vote to tell us what you think of other people’s suggestions. Please be sure to review the Feature Suggestion submissions guidelines.

Add recipe to recipe to recipe

Options
If i have made a chilli oil/paste in my recipes, I want to add that to a new recipe ie a chicken dish…. I need to add the chilli oil as an ‘ingredient’ to the new recipe but at the moment i can’t seem to do that which is annoying
6 votes

Active · Last Updated

Replies

• Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,347 Member
    Options
    If you use the Meals function instead of the recipe builder, I think it's easier to do that.

Not sure if there's a way with the recipe builder (I don't use it).
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,239 Member
    Options
    My personal approach it make a food entry using the nutritional information that the recipe builder gives. Then I can just add that food entry. Note, if you do this, keep that entry for yourself. Don't add it to the shared food database.
  • Jean
    Jean Posts: 765 MFP Staff
    Options
    It's currently not possible to directly use an existing recipe as an item in a new recipe. We're definitely considering this for a future update.

In the meantime, here is a workaround. At the moment this workaround is only possible in our "classic" recipe editor on our website (log in using a web browser to http://www.myfitnesspal.com , click "Food" then "Recipes" then "Enter New Recipe" (under the heading "Old Recipe Calculator").

Once you have created a recipe and logged it to a day on your diary, you save that single serving of the recipe as a Meal. Instructions for creating Meals are located here.

This serving of your recipe can now be used as an ingredient in later recipes. Simply search for it by name when looking for a recipe ingredient, choose the correct number of servings, and you'll have access to the recipe as an ingredient anytime you want it.
  • Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,150 Member
    Options
    @Jean

It would be so much easier and convenient for everyone (users and moderators) to just make it possible for all the members to be able to add a recipe as an item to a new one... don't you think?
    And the "We're definitely considering this for a future update," comment has been around for over 10 years. Time to make that upgrade. All of us will really appreciate it.
    Thank you!
  • kdplaskon
    kdplaskon Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I have to agree with the posters here. Please add this feature along with including search recipe in the browser interface and copy recipe in the mobile interface.

If I have a recipe with 15 ingredients and I added as a meal then when I use it in a meal, I end up with a meal that shows 15 items plus my recipe.

It would be so much more efficient from a food logging perspective if I could simply add a recipe to a recipe. For example, I make clafoutis on a werkly basis. My base recipe is three eggs, 12 oz of nonfat milk and half cup of WW flour. It then takes 10 ounces of some kind of fruit, the fruit selections vary based on season. Thus, I have half a dozen variations of the recipe. How much more convenient if I could simply have the base recipe saved, select it as an ingredient and then add the fruit I’m using to a new version of the recipe. I don’t want to see eggs, nonfat milk, and whole wheat flour every time I log my clafoutis in the diary.

Overall, your recipe module needs a serious overhaul
  • FairryDust
    FairryDust Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    @Jean

The old recipe builder won't show nutritional facts, so there's no way of knowing if correct information is being added to the recipe. The new one requires quantity to be put in before seeing some nutrition info (calories, carbs, fat) but doesn't show others (sugar, fiber, sodium). And this has to be done for each possible match for one ingredient. It took 2 hours before I found the correct information for 1 ingredient in a homemade recipe. I agree with others that it needs some simplification on the user end.