Under estimating calories..bit of advice for you all :)

Options
Lildarlinz
Lildarlinz Posts: 276 Member
edited September 2023 in Health and Weight Loss
Hey guys..so bit long winded
But I actually realised today that I HAD in fact been underestimating my calories before…

I’ve been in a calorie defect for 4 weeks and feel great :) I went for pub lunch today as a treat but I had a gammon steak, chips and peas (744 calories)

Looking at the menu I couldn’t believe it…now usually my one meal would be over 1500-2000 calories

Burger: 1560
Onion rings: 500 calories
Cheesecake: 600 calories
And then obviously beer on top of that

Now I would do that say 2-3 times a week (not at the pub) I’d order a pizza from the takeaway 500 calories a slice 😱 plus chips and onion rings

Chinese from a curry house would be in the same range

McDonald’s theres like loads of calories in their meals..I’d be eating that after work as a snack…now I buy their salads because they are so nice only a 160 calories

Advice is…cook your own…make your own pizzas, or curries and weigh everything out…you know exactly what’s going in it

I’ve lost 7lb so far :) and I’ve never felt better :)

I hope this helps at least someone :)
Really look at the menus.The website of the pub has a nutritional information page so I was able to create it as a new food to put into my fitness pal too :) x

Happy calorie counting everyone :) xx

Replies

• herringboxes
    herringboxes Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    Great work!
  • history_grrrl
    history_grrrl Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Totally agree with the importance of this. The other night, a friend and I went out for Japanese food. I got some sushi (avocado/cucumber and BBQ salmon/shrimp/cucumber), but I also couldn’t resist the shrimp and veggie tempura. I did get full fairly quickly and managed to bring maybe 40% of it home and save it for lunch the next day.

But there were two big hitches. First, I had zero idea of calories and macros and had to pick things almost randomly from the MFP database for logging purpose. And second, everything was so delicious that I felt myself reverting back to my default mindless eating habits, where I just ate whatever tasty food was there - simply because it was there.

The same friend just called to see about going out again, and if I do, I’ll have to go into it very aware of the need for vigilance. So OP, thanks for the reminder!
  • Lildarlinz
    edited September 2023
    Options
    Totally agree with the importance of this. The other night, a friend and I went out for Japanese food. I got some sushi (avocado/cucumber and BBQ salmon/shrimp/cucumber), but I also couldn’t resist the shrimp and veggie tempura. I did get full fairly quickly and managed to bring maybe 40% of it home and save it for lunch the next day.

But there were two big hitches. First, I had zero idea of calories and macros and had to pick things almost randomly from the MFP database for logging purpose. And second, everything was so delicious that I felt myself reverting back to my default mindless eating habits, where I just ate whatever tasty food was there - simply because it was there.

The same friend just called to see about going out again, and if I do, I’ll have to go into it very aware of the need for vigilance. So OP, thanks for the reminder!

You’re welcome :)
    I mean I suppose it’s okay to have a cheat day maybe once a month
    That’s what I plan to do…I plan to have one day a month soon where I eat what I like :)

But when I’m out and about I am looking at the calories of things :)

I don’t really miss anything…because I’m making it all myself anyway
    I follow recipes online and weigh everything out so I can still have a chicken curry, I can still have pizza because I make my own base :)
    The only thing I miss is a beer…but I know I can have that later down the line in moderation of course :)

Have a look on their website (the restaurants) they might have their own nutritional info on there of each dish so you could see what calories you ate :) x

Good luck with your own personal journey 😘 xx
  • fabgeekmom
    fabgeekmom Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    I cook most of my meals but do eat out occasionally. It would be too rigid to deprive myself of a meal out. I track calories as best I can.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,675 Member
    Options
    I sometimes look at menus with calories listed and wonder how on earth they sell some of the items on there, given the number of calories. Most desserts are 700-1000 calories. So are most of the appetizers. Side dishes aren't much better. It kinda takes the fun out of going out when you see how many calories you are eating. Then I look at my husband, who doesn't care how many calories something has and just eats what he wants without even reading the calories. I have my splurges, i.e. baby back ribs, but they are not frequent and most of the time knowing the calories does make me more careful when I order.
  • Lildarlinz
    Options
    I sometimes look at menus with calories listed and wonder how on earth they sell some of the items on there, given the number of calories. Most desserts are 700-1000 calories. So are most of the appetizers. Side dishes aren't much better. It kinda takes the fun out of going out when you see how many calories you are eating. Then I look at my husband, who doesn't care how many calories something has and just eats what he wants without even reading the calories. I have my splurges, i.e. baby back ribs, but they are not frequent and most of the time knowing the calories does make me more careful when I order.

My husband was saying to me yesterday “this diet business of yours is getting on my nerves” 🤣🤣🤣🤣

I said well I’m not stopping you from eating 🤣🤣🤣

He had a mega mixed grill…he was happy :)

But I think he is proud of my weight loss so far :) xx
  • MacLowCarbing
    MacLowCarbing Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    I'm lucky in that way, I actually like to be the cook of the house and work from home so I am able to do it. I like the meal planning/prepping, I like experimenting in the kitchen, heck I even like to do the shopping and get the best bargains as I anticipate what I'm gonna make with what I've found.

I know some people just hate to cook, or don't know how very well, or really don't have the time with job/kids/responsibilities. I feel that, there was a time I couldn't cook. Boy, did I balloon up-- it was hard and often I just gave in to the easiest, most comforting things possible. But it's so worth it to figure out a way to get most of your meals cooked at home from just basic ingredients-- get groceries delivered so you spend less time in the stores. Cook quick & easy meals and always make double so there's leftovers to freeze. Take turns with teens/adults in the house.

Tools like an instapot or slow cooker or air fryer can be your best friend, especially if you don't like to hover over a stove or you feel your cooking skills aren't up to par. Throw in some meat or canned beans, some frozen veggies, a seasoning mix, set it and forget it. Go do something else for a while and come back with a full meal all ready to be plated up.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,398 Member
    Options
    Oh yes! I don't eat out a lot, and a doener every now and then doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things. But I love cooking, and it just tastes so much better. If I feel like it I make my own burgers, usually with Indonesian pickles I made myself, maybe avocado and a yogurt-based dressing. Lots of yum while not too high in calories. Or recently, I cooked an indochinese dish, and found it it tasted like UK take-away - at a tiny fraction of the calories but with all the taste and no ready-made sauces and the likes. Cooking is fun anyway.
  • Lildarlinz
    Options
    yirara wrote: »
    Oh yes! I don't eat out a lot, and a doener every now and then doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things. But I love cooking, and it just tastes so much better. If I feel like it I make my own burgers, usually with Indonesian pickles I made myself, maybe avocado and a yogurt-based dressing. Lots of yum while not too high in calories. Or recently, I cooked an indochinese dish, and found it it tasted like UK take-away - at a tiny fraction of the calories but with all the taste and no ready-made sauces and the likes. Cooking is fun anyway.

I love the skinny burgers from a shop we have here called Aldi :) only 120 calories each and they taste so delicious 😋😋

Some things like making burgers and meatballs I leave to the husband 🤣🤣

Get him included in making dinner in the kitchen :D haha!

I will treat myself to go out for dinner really soon…I might say once a month just for a date or something :) xx
  • history_grrrl
    history_grrrl Posts: 212 Member
    Options

Yes! I’m just finishing up the leftovers from chicken tikka masala I made a few days ago, and at the risk of bragging, it is so delicious (got the recipe from the SO). I started cooking just a few years ago, after many years of egg salad and packaged mac ‘n’ cheese. I still eat those in a pinch, but there’s nothing like an actual tasty meal and having real food in the fridge.
  • yirara
    Options
    Oh yeah, real food!
    It's all a bit more complicated if you live alone and in a country with generally small fridges and freezers, but it works by making big pots of stew every now and then for several days... at the moment I'm eating ants climbing trees (basically crispy pork mince) for several days, but I alter veggies, sauces and spices, rice or noodle... so it's different every day.
  • COGypsy
    COGypsy Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    If cooking were a necessary component of weight loss, I’d weigh a thousand pounds! I don’t cook. Pretty much all I eat is takeout or frozen food and had no problem losing 60 pounds and maintaining that loss. It just takes having a plan going in and a little awareness.
  • DFW_Tom
    DFW_Tom Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    COGypsy wrote: »
    If cooking were a necessary component of weight loss, I’d weigh a thousand pounds! I don’t cook. Pretty much all I eat is takeout or frozen food and had no problem losing 60 pounds and maintaining that loss. It just takes having a plan going in and a little awareness.

I suspect it takes a lot more than planning and awareness. I know it would not be possible for me to only eat out or to eat frozen foods without busting the scales. I'm happy for you, @COGypsy, that you've found a way to weight loss without problems. I think your method has to be extremely rare though, and your success in losing and maintaining the lost weight that way even rarer.
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,596 Member
    Options
    DFW_Tom wrote: »

I suspect it takes a lot more than planning and awareness. I know it would not be possible for me to only eat out or to eat frozen foods without busting the scales. I'm happy for you, @COGypsy, that you've found a way to weight loss without problems. I think your method has to be extremely rare though, and your success in losing and maintaining the lost weight that way even rarer.

Eating less than you burn isn't exactly rare in weight loss.

I did the same thing. Lost my first 90 lbs practically living off fast food and frozen dinners. And an obsession with these hostess mini cupcakes thingys. I obviously ate other food too but none of it was what you'd call home cooked.
  • COGypsy
    COGypsy Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options

Necessity is the mother of invention and in the end, we can only do what we’re willing to do. There is simply not a world where I’m willing to cook multiple times a day, or even a week. So I figured out an alternative that is easy and relatively painless for me. Plays to my strengths, you might say. I’ve been eating this way for probably close to a decade now. My blood work and vitals are great and other than a few “life happens” blips, my weight has stayed pretty consistent.
  • yirara
    Options
    Damn... I just ordered 4 new cookbooks. I think this thread is to blame :D Ok, I wanted to order two, but one came in a double pack with another book I didn't have on my wishlist at only 1 Euro extra. And the fourth book.. ehm.. yeah, it was on my wishlist as well. Argh.
  • Lildarlinz
    Options
    Damn... I just ordered 4 new cookbooks. I think this thread is to blame :D Ok, I wanted to order two, but one came in a double pack with another book I didn't have on my wishlist at only 1 Euro extra. And the fourth book.. ehm.. yeah, it was on my wishlist as well. Argh.

I love ginos Italian one :D I used to love the Italian cottage pie he does 😋😋

I also have a Cadbury one…that my mom brought…but that one has been stuck on a shelf gathering dust…a little longer won’t hurt 🤣🤣🤣
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,979 Member
    Options

I love to cook, but I don't have the time/energy/incentive (cooking for one) as often as I'd like. I had a frozen chicken and cheese chimichanga for breakfast, smothered in plain greek yogurt (in lieu of sour cream/crema), and instant black coffee. Very satisfying and tasty and within my calorie allotment for breakfast.

Meanwhile, I've been planning to make chili from scratch for close to two weeks. Every few days I do a bit of prep work (roasting, skinning, and seeding chilis, or chopping and sauteing onion and garlic) and stick the results in the freezer to await the final combining into chili, with lots of beans and veggie grounds (faux mince).
  • yirara
    Options

I love to cook, but I don't have the time/energy/incentive (cooking for one) as often as I'd like. I had a frozen chicken and cheese chimichanga for breakfast, smothered in plain greek yogurt (in lieu of sour cream/crema), and instant black coffee. Very satisfying and tasty and within my calorie allotment for breakfast.

Meanwhile, I've been planning to make chili from scratch for close to two weeks. Every few days I do a bit of prep work (roasting, skinning, and seeding chilis, or chopping and sauteing onion and garlic) and stick the results in the freezer to await the final combining into chili, with lots of beans and veggie grounds (faux mince).

I guess the difference is that here, people cook dinner while breakfast and lunch are mostly cold: sandwiches, cold salads, oats, probably the occasional egg on Sundays with bread and jam for breakfast. So that makes things much easier. And I'd never road a whole chicken. I use whatever protein of choice in small amounts and am otherwise organized enough that one part of my dinner cooks while I prep the veggies. Just takes 5 minutes max, including weighing them. I'd guess my average weeknight dinner doesn't take longer than 30 minutes, usually less.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,643 Member
    Options
    Usually pop a bag of veggies in the microwave in the morning so that it is ready to go for the day. So probably 5 to 6 servings of veggies a day on AVERAGE to start with. And various frozen dinners for lunch or ramen/rice noodle soups (260 to 450 Cal)... with some of the veggies. And probably close to 500g of 0% greek yogurt as an AVERAGE per day. And then we see :smiley: