Failure to maintain strains my brain

Options
Excuses:

- Moved into new house, everything's in boxes, just getting things set up
- Got a new puppy, wakes me up at 5:45AM, can't leave him alone, too little to take on longer walks, interrupts any attempt to exercise at home (all with great puppy joy)
- Had a couple of injuries (foot and shoulder)
- My regular pool closed for extended repairs

Result: Gained 10lbs in about 2 months.

Goals:

- Get back to logging meals
- Try timed eating (I've wanted to try this for a long time)
- Drink beer only sparingly on weekends (or maybe try a dry spell)
- Go to PT to address injuries
- Start going to alternate pool (there are several, need to try them out)
- Figure out how to exercise with puppy in the early morning (put in his crate after walk and breakfast, do calisthenics or spin bike)

Replies

• lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,988 Member
    Options
    Do they make puppy carriers like Baby Bjorn carriers? You could go for a run and use the puppy as a weight vest (I'm assuming we're not talking about a 40 lb puppy).
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,164 Member
    Options
    My personal thoughts and experience is maintaining is far more difficult for me than losing.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,973 Member
    Options
    Moving is hell >.<

I've noticed I fall into this trap of stopping logging for the month before, which is fine, b/c I'm so active, and continuing to not log afterwards, which is probably fine for a week or two, but I let it go on for months, not a good thing.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,973 Member
    Options
    POST PUPPY PICTURES!
  • Retroguy2000
    Retroguy2000 Posts: 1,531 Member
    Options
    Should have got a cat!
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    Options
    Do they make puppy carriers like Baby Bjorn carriers? You could go for a run and use the puppy as a weight vest (I'm assuming we're not talking about a 40 lb puppy).

They do! But, there's no way a squirmy puppy will put up with that much jostling. And, while he was 8 pounds two months ago, he's 15 pounds now and has really out-grown the sling!

What really happens is we go for a walk and the puppy runs in every direction having a great time, but not always moving toward anything in particular. Eventually, I pick him up and we walk for a while until he gets squirmy again, so I put him down. We made good progress when we walked with another older dog who the puppy really wanted to keep up with. But, he can only go about a half mile right now before needing some help.

Note that the longer-term outlook for walking is excellent. He should be able to walk several miles. In fact, he will need the exercise. He also could be amenable to jogging (if I'm lucky). So, this is a near-term problem!