Pregnancy weight gain control

Options
Hello there! I am 13...almost 14 weeks pregnant and am trying to control my weight gain throughout pregnancy. Just found out this week we're having a baby girl (NIPT blood work). I am disappointed to find there are only really old posts for pregnancy on here. I know this isn't a pregnancy weight app but I've been using this app for YEARS and am comfortable with it. I'd like to continue using it.

Back story: In April of 2021 I was told I was obese...weighing in at 217 pounds as a 5'7" 38 years old female. My fasting blood sugar was 113, my cholesterol was high and, worse of all, my kidney function had plummeted for an unknown reason ( I believe it was a combo of Covid/long Covid and obesity). I was referred to a nephrologist who said I was likely alright but my obesity wasn't helping ( worded more professionally then that of course). This set me off to losing 46 (roughly) pounds in 6 months. As it was, I was all around feeling like crap anyway...had been for a couple years. I hadn't meant to get that big but life just happened and I forgot me. I was hurting everywhere. Planters fascitis (sp?) In my foot had me wall and furniture crawling after just getting up after sitting or a lying down for a bit. Fibromyalgia flared often with debilitating pain and exhausted. My back and knees already were beat up from military service so added weight on them wasn't helping anyone. I felt stuck. Too tired and in pain to think about fitness. Never thought I'd lose weight again....in a catch 22. But hearing that news lit one more fire under my butt! My kidneys were at a cross roads. I had the choice still between possible healthy kidneys and possible future dialysis. This was suddenly life or death....the spark I needed. Sad it had to come to that before I made me a priority again!

Fast forward. At my next appointment, labs showed a 25 point jumped in my EGFR from an EGFR of 59.1 (borderline chronic kidney disease) to and EGFR of 84 (upper end of stage 2 kidney disease...not bad). My cholesterol was normal and my blood sugar normal. I was still overweight though. I went on to lose a total of 70 pounds (down to 147). Side note: When I was 17 years old I entered Navy bootcamp at the weight of 164 lbs (but I had more muscle then). I was, and currently still am, below my bootcamp weight. Back to original story...Did all that on myfitnesspal. In that time my husband and I decided that since I was healthy and feeling great, we can try for one more baby with docs permission. Doc gave the go ahead and here we are.

Now, the point in saying all this is, I'm not on here to control weight simply for me...my looks...and so on. My health and baby's health depends on it. My baby's well being and my ability to care for her optimally once she's born, depends on my staying healthy. I'm looking to gain the recommended 25-35 pounds. No more, no less either.

That ALL being said, are there any other pregnant ladies on here who need a buddy? I feel like I'm in a desert here! It doesn't matter if your starting weight was under, at, or over recommended...any female buddy's will do! Shoot! If you are preparing for pregnancy, you are welcome too (and smart). There has to be more of you out there!

Replies

• mmocarr
    mmocarr Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your weight loss and amazing health gains. That’s amazing that you feel so much better physically.

I also found the same thing when I was pregnant. I’m currently 1 year post partum and preparing to conceive again in 3-6 months. I’m not religious about MFP. When I need to be in a deficit, I find calorie counting very helpful. I find it less helpful for maintenance. I was considering trying it during my hopefully upcoming pregnancy. I found myself watching my weight super carefully and often stressing that I was gaining too quickly. I do wonder if i just calorie counted and knew I was getting enough to healthfully support the pregnancy, but not more maybe I wouldn’t be so weight focused.

You’re welcome to add me, but I hope you find some more active buddies. Best of luck with your pregnancy!