Fun with time-restricted feeding (TRF)

Options
I am inspired by a recent study that showed that, for fairly large subjects, and fairly modest weight loss (<5% of body weight), time-restricted feeding (TRF, aka "intermittent fasting") works about as well as calorie counting. Shock!

I've been using MFP for years and have done many cuts using a calorie counting approach. It definitely works, but it's a lot of work to keep track of what you're eating. I want to drop about 8lbs over the next two months (4.4% of my current weight). Why not try TRF?

For starters, I'm going to limit eating to an 8 hour window, typically 11:30AM - 7:30PM. During that period, I'll try to eat reasonably, not excessively (which obviously wouldn't work). I'm also going to limit "da beers." If I have one, I'll do it within the eating window, but I know I'll do better if I eliminate them. If I anticipate I'll be eating late, I'll delay my first meal accordingly. I expect I won't always get it just right!

Comments welcome:

- What do you think of the name "Time-Restricted Feeding (TRF)" relative to "Intermittent Fasting (IF)." Think it will catch on?
- Has anyone tried the 8-hour window approach? (It could be called an "8/16 IF," I guess.)
- Is it even better with logging, or can you safely eliminate logging?

If you're interested in the study, here's a link to the paper. I heard about it on the news, but I didn't look at the actual study until just now (of course). In fact, the study looked at a 6 hour and a 4 hour eating window, both of which were equally effective to induce weight loss. But, due to my schedule, those sound too hard, so I'll start with an 8 hour window. If it doesn't work, I can reduce it to 6 hour.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC9407646/

Replies

• tomcustombuilder
    tomcustombuilder Posts: 1,727 Member
    Options
    If you aren't in a consistent weekly calorie defict you're wasting your time with eating windows. They only work if it causes you to take in fewer calories over time
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,962 Member
    Options
    I'm familiar with that study and it's well designed imo. If your count calories and restricting calories there's no point to any data doing TRF because you won't know whether you lost weight because of calorie restriction of TRF. This only works in ad libitum conditions.

One of the limitations of this study was that it wasn't a crossover design where the participants acted as their own control group, so if you count calories you could design it where one side is calorie restricted and the other is ad libitum, just a thought.
  • herringboxes
    herringboxes Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    The benefit, if any, to IF is by cutting snacking, boredom eating, etc.

Definitely effective for some people. But it still runs on the engine of calorie restriction.

Some people will notalorie restrict on IF - and therefore will not lose weight.

Certainly worth a shot if you’re interested and if you think your eating nehaviors would benefit.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,013 Member
    Options
    Well, sure. It works the same way IF YOU ARE IN deficit.

Meh, it takes me all of 2 minutes to log my food on most days. Doesn't seem particularly onerous to me.

Any kind of "intuitive eating" thing I've tried in the past just is not effective. I have to see those numbers...numbers...numbers...

I used TRF for the first 45 years of my life, mostly just skipping breakfast and eating two largish meals. I now eat two largish meals and a snack in between on most days. I just don't make the Rule of a certain clock time.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,435 Member
    Options
    I think I could easily overeat in just 8 hours per day. It would likely stress me out, like: I only have 8 hrs! What if I get hungry! I need crisps!!! I would certainly gain without logging and restricting the eating window.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,406 Member
    Options
    I know my faults, and one is hedonism. If I went to TRF, and believed that was the only strategy I needed, I would be trying to game it, and eat as much delicious food as I could in my eating window. I can eat really, really a lot of calories in a short time - even now, after years of maintenance - and enjoy it.

Not everyone is wired that way, and it makes sense to me why, in a large-group study setting, TRF would result in better weight loss/weight management for a fair segment.

If it works, and makes counting unnecessary, that's a great outcome. Wishing you excellent results! (Let us know what you find, if you're willing, eh?)
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,730 Member
    Options
    Might result in larger deficit than desired because you're trying hard to eat the least you can get away with.

Might result in smaller deficit than desired because you "naturally" eat a bit more than you need to during your eating hours; but you manage to cut a bunch of calories by eliminating problem behaviors such as kate night snacks or binges especially when tired--issues that appear to be fairly ubiquitous

Might result in no deficit because of the same setup depending on your "naturally"

Might result in a surplus and weight gain depending on your "naturally"

Will have a very good chance of resulting in weight gain if you're me and throw in an extra snack at 8pm just as a safety net against going hungry later.

I mean when I'm traveling I sort of do something similar to control the weight gain: substantial breakfast and then avoid eating the rest of the day as much as possible to leave room for dinner while generally trying to be active.

The only method that works is the one you're willing to implement. And there is nothing wrong with trying alternatives you think have a good chance of success based on your knowledge of self.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    edited September 2023
    Options
    Counting calories is not good for my mental health so I don't do it...but I've had the IF strategy go both ways. One issue I've had with it is that when I get into my eating window I'm friggin' hungry and my natural tendency is to just eat without really paying attention...in such a case, I didn't gain weight, but I didn't lose weight either. It has worked for me when I remain mindful about the quality of the nutrition I'm taking in as well as keeping my meals and snacks during my eating window within the norms that I would usually consume...ie coming from maintenance, a normal lunch, my normal afternoon snacks, and my normal dinner and desert so my calorie deficit is coming from skipping the morning meal.

My preferred method (just me personally) when I want to cut some weight is to eat normally but basically cut out my snacks in the afternoon. I just get too ravenously hungry when I skip meals and then I overdo it and zero out my intended calorie deficit.

ETA: I do basically use IF in maintenance on occasions where I know I'm going out later and it will be a calorie bomb. It would work well for me for losing weight except for the fact that I just tend to go overboard once I get into my eating window and have a lot of difficulty controlling that.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,013 Member
    Options
    Super cute!!

:flowerforyou:
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,730 Member
    Options
    fluuuuuuuuufffffffiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiie! :blush:
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    Options
    He's lucky he's cute...
  • jasminelovestravel
    Options
    I IF by eating my calories within a 2 hour window each evening then 2 days a week I eat over a 8 hour window to give myself a break (track all food btw). I eat to fullness on these meals/ days. 2 hour window is normally around 800 cals and 8 hour window is around 1500. I am down 16kg in 14 weeks. I have twin toddlers so very busy and workout 3/4times a week and feeling awesome. More energy, skin and hair healthy. I’m consistently adding strength and sleep has dramatically improved. It’s not for everyone but I absolutely love it.
  • sollyn23l2
    sollyn23l2 Posts: 1,637 Member
    Options
    I IF by eating my calories within a 2 hour window each evening then 2 days a week I eat over a 8 hour window to give myself a break (track all food btw). I eat to fullness on these meals/ days. 2 hour window is normally around 800 cals and 8 hour window is around 1500. I am down 16kg in 14 weeks. I have twin toddlers so very busy and workout 3/4times a week and feeling awesome. More energy, skin and hair healthy. I’m consistently adding strength and sleep has dramatically improved. It’s not for everyone but I absolutely love it.

How long have you been doing this? Issues usually show up only after some months. Short term (a few months, say), you can starve yourself silly with few repercussions. Long tern, not so much. Intermittent fasting can be great and works for many people. Just make sure and eat enough.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,952 Member
    Options
    He's lucky he's cute...

AWWWWWSSSSSSSSS

How old was he when you got him?
  • MacLowCarbing
    MacLowCarbing Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    I do 16:8 or sometimes 18:6. I still keep track usually, but eat high fat/low carb so I tend to get full/stay full longer. I rarely eat my full 1500 calories so if I don't track for some reason (crazy day, whatever) I'm usually safe if I stay along the same lines of my normal meals.

The benefit for me is that I was a night picker/binger because I'm a night owl and usually work nights-- from home. An eating window kind of shuts me down so I don't give into mindless eating.

It also allows me to get my exercise in before breaking fast while I'm at my deepest point into ketosis.

For me I don't think TRE or TRF is necessarily gonna do it if you're not in a calorie deficit-- so just be wary of that.
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    Options
    @MacLowCarbing : You make good points. I'm experimenting with not tracking, but I will start tracking if I think I'm either under-eating (not my problem!) or over-eating. You also make a good point about eating carbs. It happened over the weekend that I went to various events that served mostly carbs, so I carb'ed out! My weight was still even today, so no harm done, but TRF isn't magical: If you overdo it during your eating window, it won't accomplish anything!

I'm still experimenting what to do when I break my fast at around noon. I've tried eating my breakfast at that time (oatmeal) or my lunch (turkey sandwich). Either way, I seem to need something substantial at ~4pm and then a real dinner at about 7pm. Then no eating after 8pm, which is probably the most effective part of the regime, as you say.
  • tinalea64
    tinalea64 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I've been doing this for a while. My typical eating window is from 11:00am to 7:00pm. I do drink a lot in the morning. I start my morning with a cup of warm water with the juice on 1 lemon. Not many calories so not really breaking my fast. Then a cup of tea before my morning coffee which I do add 1 scoop of collagen protein too. Also, not enough calories as I understand it to consider it breaking my fast. Then I eat my first meal around 11:00 - maybe later if I have a 2nd cup of coffee but that's rare. I always break my fast with good protein. Frequently it's a couple of hard boiled eggs. Eating this way with a small snack around 2:00 (apple and some nuts typically) then dinner in the 5:00 to 6:00 range. I feel that it really helps me with staying in my calorie range.