Scapular winging: strengthening exercise

Options
yirara
yirara Posts: 9,398 Member
So yeah, you probably know I had a bad shoulder accident. Things are getting better. One thing still not ok is strength around the scapular on one side: there's winging, it's a bit too far away from the spine and when lifting up the arm the shoulder still rolls a bit to the front. And that reduces strength in that arm. I have the feeling I've done what I can with physio. Using exercise bands just doesn't add more there.

Any idea how to build more strength there? Have exercise mat, some kettlebells, bench with barbel and dumbbell sticks and weights, bands, and a pullup bar stuck in a door frame that is both too narrow and probably too weak for this. Can't drill into walls and ceiling, and tree protection order in place, thus not a chance outside either.

Replies

• middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Options
    Have you tried wall slides? standing with your butt and upper back against a wall, arms bent against the wall looking like American football goals, Euro rugby, and moving your arms from horizontal to vertical? Very basic but so effective.

Push ups with your arms placed to focus on your scapular.
    Pull backs using the cable machine.
    Yup, I know you don't have a cable machine but use a suitable starting weight item, and lift elbows to close to chin, extend arms, and pull back.

Best I can think of from when I had a minor scapular setback. The wall slides were the game changer, simple and effective.

Cheers, h.

• yirara
    Options
    Yeah, I did all these things and feel they are too easy. I need something with more resistance somehow but only find the exercise band and bodyweight exercises I’ve been doing for months. I only manage pushups standing against something or kneeling though. Sigh.
  • Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,121 Member
    edited October 2023
    Options
    I'm NOT a physio, but I stumbled onto some exercises that might be interesting?

https://www.facebook.com/reel/6992550097445027

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NIW4PqHxymo
  • yirara
    Options
    Oooh! I'll have a look at this tonight! Thanks a lot Lietchi!