Are carbs really that bad?

Options
13»

Replies

• hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    Let me tell you I exercise 5-6 times a week and when I cut carbs in my diet, I had NO energy whatsoever. I could almost fall asleep at work! It's all about choosing the right type of carb. i.e. whole grain bread over a can of soda!!!!!

This happens to my daughter. She's allergic to eggs and peanuts and does better with these things eliminated but she simply does not do well on the lower carbs (starch & sugar) lifestyle.

My DH and DS and myself are the polar opposite :ohwell: Trust me, I wish we could but it's just not to be. I just regret dismissing the idea of carb restriction as 'fad' while trying to stay moderate & not falling for the grapefruit diet, cabbage soup diet or that silly hot sauce soup diet in the 90's :blushing:

Now that I know about the genetic features, we are watching my son's health (he's only 17 now) but I believe I had gestational diabetes when I was pregnant with him. The criteria has been lowered since his birth & I recall being tested & told that it's nothing to worry about & perfectly normal...NOT.

He has an increased chance of developing T2D because of that, as well as because I've developed it at 44 (& likely was subclinical for quite a while) having both maternal & paternal grandparents with BG dysregulation issues including T2D, and 5 of 6 aunts/uncles with T2D.

I wish we knew :grumble: Instead, when I was diagnosed, I got a lot of nodding heads from medical professionals, as if to say, 'yep' as I was trying to work through how this could've happened:grumble: (had no idea about the rest of the family prior to my dx)

I guess what I'm trying to say is, question everything & find what works for you :drinker: I wish I hadn't been such a lemming munching on healthy whole grains & all the fruit me little heart could stand in the interest of being healthy :blushing: