When did you start to notice?

Options
I am two months in on attempt to lose weight. I have lost 40 pounds. And I haven't noticed any visual changes.
My scale, the doctor's scale, and the scale at the gym all say I've lost weight. But my clothes still fit the same. My aches and pains in my joints are still there.
The only indication (FOR MY SELF) is the seat belt in the car is easier to unbuckle.
Oh I should add. I started at 450 and I am at 410 now.
Is it because I was so fat to begin with it is going to take time?
Where do we lose fat first?
Am I burning muscle and not fat? I don't feel weaker.
I find the whole thing somewhat frustrating. Because right now the only success indicator I have is the scale.

Replies

• SOIJ20
    SOIJ20 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Those small steps are what matters in my mind!. I still can't see my weight loss when I look in the mirror, even though the scale and clothes size says otherwise.
    But for me it was those little wins that kept me going, the tightening your belt buckle a little bit more, or just in general feeling a little bit more energetic! Don't give up, it's tiring but consistency is key ! :D

Unfortunately you can't choose where you loose fat, it just slowly comes off everywhere really, and you can gain muscle but as far as I'm aware you can't burn muscle.

It took me on and off about 10 years (and one pregnancy) to get to a lower weight than my original weight before I gained it all, I'm actually lower than when i was 17 which baffles me. A lot of ups and downs, and a lot of times I stopped and then started again, a lot of depressive moments and trying moments. So it can be a slow process but it is possible! So keep it up :D

Feel free to add me if you like! I can always send some motivation along the way!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    The more weight you have to lose, the less visible those changes are due to still having a substantial amount of body fat present. Also, you look at yourself in the mirror everyday so you individually are not likely to notice the small, incremental changes occurring which is why many people take progress pictures.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,218 Member
    edited October 2023
    Options
    Seeing changes in your own body can be difficult. You have a mental picture of your body and even when it changes for many of us, we keep seeing it according to that mental picture. It is only when the changes become so big that they push past that mental picture that people who struggle that way will suddenly see how much they have changed visually. I have noticed that in my own progress, and I did not have as much to lose as you do. Keep at it. You will see the changes yourself eventually, for now, the changes will be in things like clothing sizes and the like. Keep at it. You are doing great.
  • Lildarlinz
    Lildarlinz Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I’ve lost 9lb and I don’t know where it’s come from
    Although looking at my big toe…it now looks smaller 🤣🤣🤣 just kidding! :D

I just know I will have to lose at least another stone before I see any improvement on my belly fat and I know this from experience before when I was dieting…like I could see it in the mirror…I had well I still have a massive podge but before I had a massive podge and then it got littler :) x

It just takes time and obviously we can’t get it off where we want it to come off x
  • Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,264 Member
    Options
    It's like an onion - taking off the first layer doesn't seem to make much of a difference, but each following layer makes a bigger difference :smile:

And clothing can play tricks on us, especially when stretchy or loose: differences in how tight they are/how they drape which may be quite subtle. And in dress sizes it's like onions too: the bigger size, the larger the difference between sizes (more weight loss necessary to go down a size).

And also: yes, our mind can play tricks on us. Progress pictures are a great idea, you may be able to see differences later on that you can see now, once your brain catches up :smile:
  • Retroguy2000
    Retroguy2000 Posts: 1,543 Member
    Options
    You shouldn't feel frustrated. 40 pounds is great progress. Keep it up!
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,071 Member
    edited October 2023
    Options
    You've lost 10% of your weight.

That's likely 20% of what you need to lose.

Well done. :flowerforyou: I agree that personal private progress pictures are a great idea. Do them in the same outfit and standing in the same place each time, you'll be amazed.

It is a long process and much will be revealed (no pun intended) about yourself. Keep learning and keep working at it.
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,772 Member
    Options
    You’re doing so well. Don’t be discouraged!!!!

I couldn’t see the weight loss, and even now, five years in, I sometimes look in the mirror and don’t look slim.

For me, I can’t see it unless it’s in a photo. I lost umpteen clothing sizes but couldn’t see it. The mirror is unreliable, but photos don’t lie. I sincerely wish I’d taken progress pictures from the very beginning. I was already 60 pounds down when a trainer I began working with sent me photos and videos from every session. That was when I had my “holy cow!” realization that I’d lost a lot of weight.

When I ultimately got too low, she was upset with me, and wanted to prove to me I was too thin. It was the “grandaddy longlegs “ photo she snuck and took from behind and sent that snapped some sense into me and brought my loss to a screeching halt.

Have someone you trust take photos of you from front side and behind. You’ll start to see a difference soon.

When I lose mental “track” of my size now, which I still do, I ask my husband to take and send photos of me for reassurance.

Weight loss is just weird and messes with your head. You may be half the person you were before but your head doesn’t make the connection the heartless, soulless, rooted in utter truth scale does.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,700 Member
    Options
    FWIW, I couldn't even see a difference in photos for a while. I just looked at the photo and saw "me, the fat person". Eventually my self image, the internal "me", mostly caught up, usually.

Any of the methods showing that it's happening means that it's happening. It can be scale weight, tape measurements, clothes fit, comparison of progress photos, or probably even some other objective things.

If one of those says weight loss is happening, it's happening. Don't let your mind tell you otherwise.