Distance runner with goals!

Options
I doubt anyone will read this lol but I’d love some new friends that are runners too!
I’ve been trying to qualify for the Boston marathon for 4 years now and I’ve come so close every time. I’ve broken both of my tibias twice, I’ve had a baby and recovered and got back running, and I struggle with 3 autoimmune diseases which have caused some complications. The worst has been my anemia that I have to get transfusions quite frequently to function. This past weekend I raced and missed my Boston qualifying time by just 4 minutes!
I have a little weight to spare and I think that could possibly help me shed those 4 minutes. So here I am back at my fitness pal!
Tagged:

Replies

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,166 Member
    Options
    Welcome!

I'm not a runner. (I'm a rower, on-water when I can, machine when I must).

You might enjoy participating in this thread:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10900474/october-2023-monthly-running-challenge#latest

It's very active, full of runners, and they start a new thread every month.

Best wishes for success!
  • MacLowCarbing
    MacLowCarbing Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    I wish I was a runner. I am now a slow walker. But I used to be a wheelchair rider, so I'll take it. I would love to be a runner someday.

I admire your perseverance!! I'm sure you'll get to that marathon some day! I'm not the kind of fitness buddy you need but I will certainly cheer you on.
  • kbrown1527
    kbrown1527 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I’m a wishful runner.. I can do up to 5mi at a time, but never really attempted more than that! I do run 3-4miles daily.
  • chris_in_cal
    chris_in_cal Posts: 2,182 Member
    Options
    RunPuddles wrote: »
    I’ve been trying to qualify for the Boston marathon for 4 years now and I’ve come so close every time.

Sorry, sort of a humble-brag, my first marathon I qualified for Boston. I thought, 'Nah, now isn't convenient for me, I'll do it next time.' Ya'll know the rest of this story, there was no next time. Thirty years later I still occasionally think of that decision.

You have a lot going on with your health. Your fitness seems on point if you are just at qualification times. Sure, any excess weight effects performance. There are so many other things.

The fastest runners have the most coaches and trainers. Famously the NBA basketball player LeBron James says he pays one million USD a year on extra coaching and PT to keep functioning at his highest level. Consider that.

MFP does have a lot of amazing and active runners here. If you want to participate you can get a lot out of it. Zooming in on a BQ is pretty niche, and not representative of the typical MFP user, but some of us get it. Good luck, and hope to see you around.
  • Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,118 Member
    Options
    A fellow runner here, only since a few years (since/during 70+lbs weight-loss).
    But nowhere near your league! The average speed for qualifying for the Boston Marathon is quicker than my 5km best :mrgreen:
    And my longest run so far is 20km.
  • chris_in_cal
    chris_in_cal Posts: 2,182 Member
    Options
    kbrown1527 wrote: »
    I’m a wishful runner.. I can do up to 5mi at a time, but never really attempted more than that! I do run 3-4miles daily.

How is you training going?
  • mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,243 Member
    Options
    I run just a little bit.

You're right. Nobody is going to read this.... :wink:

Four minutes seems so tiny for a 26 mile race. I'm not fast, and I have considered a marathon but probably won't do it. Maybe a half. I have started to move to trail running as it's a little easier on the joints.

What is your age? Another way to qualify is wait until you hit the next age category, especially if you're really close to the cutoff. You'll qualify with a minute to spare even if you don't get faster.