When do people weigh in?

Options
Do you weigh everyday?
Weekly?
Monthly?

I really need to stop standing on my scales…because it’s just not doing me any favours…

When I see the water weight…it makes me wanna give up 😩😩😩😩

Replies

• tomcustombuilder
    tomcustombuilder Posts: 1,628 Member
    edited October 2023
    Options
    Personally it’s Friday when I get up and after drainin’ the snake. Weekends can mean more carbs and the consequential water retention carrying into the first of the week so Friday tends to be the most accurate.

Every day tends to show trends which some people like. For some though, the daily fluctuations that sometimes go up can be too stressful and cause erratic eating habits.
  • Lildarlinz
    Lildarlinz Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Personally it’s Friday when I get up and after drainin’ the snake. Weekends can mean more carbs and the consequential water retention so Friday tends to be the most accurate.

Every day tends to show trends which some people like. For some though, the daily fluctuations that sometimes go up can be too stressful and cause erratic eating habits.

Drain the snake? 🤣🤣🤣 love it! I mean I hope it’s what I think that means 🤣🤣🤣

Yes I totally get what you are saying…I weigh everyday…I need to throw my scales out if I’m honest…

I feel like I’m putting 1lb after 1lb on…when reality it’s probably just salt content…I’ve had a salty sandwich today…

And yes it’s not doing me any favours…because I am thinking “well I can’t eat that just incase” if you get what I mean

I’m going to stick to my Sundays 😁
  • SOIJ20
    SOIJ20 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I do my weigh in every week on a Saturday mmorning.its good to see on a weekly basis what's happening to my body. But times when I'm bloating or I know my hormones are going wild I don't take those weigh in seriously. I look at the bigger picture.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    If you weigh in everyday I would recommend using a trend app like Libra that will take your individual data points and trend them accordingly over time...I'd recommend using such an app really regardless of when you weigh in.

I used to weigh in daily but eventually found most of that data to not be particularly useful to me beyond initial realizations that a high sodium day or higher carb day or whatever was going to cause a jump on the scale...once I knew that I didn't really need to continue creating that experiment. One helpful trend that I noticed was that most of the time (not always), Thursdays tended to be a light day on the scale, as well as Friday so I started using those two days and taking the average.

Weighing in on a weekend or right after the weekend is a no go for me as I tend to be a bit more indulgent food wise (it's also when I'm more apt to eat out than during the week) and I also can be more indulgent in physical activity...so where during the week I might walk my dog a couple times per day and do some calisthenics a couple of days, weekends tend more towards 3-4+ hour mountain bike rides, hitting the gym, etc and that increased activity definitely leads to some inflammation and thus water weight...so a Sunday or Monday morning weigh in is kind of pointless.

Also, most people who are looking for more or less consistent numbers will weigh in the morning after the restroom...basically same time (roughly) and under the same conditions. It doesn't do you much good to weigh in the morning and then the next week you weigh in the afternoon after you've consumed food and liquids or with clothes on, etc since food and liquids and clothing are going to add weight.
  • Lildarlinz
    Lildarlinz Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    If you weigh in everyday I would recommend using a trend app like Libra that will take your individual data points and trend them accordingly over time...I'd recommend using such an app really regardless of when you weigh in.

I used to weigh in daily but eventually found most of that data to not be particularly useful to me beyond initial realizations that a high sodium day or higher carb day or whatever was going to cause a jump on the scale...once I knew that I didn't really need to continue creating that experiment. One helpful trend that I noticed was that most of the time (not always), Thursdays tended to be a light day on the scale, as well as Friday so I started using those two days and taking the average.

Weighing in on a weekend or right after the weekend is a no go for me as I tend to be a bit more indulgent food wise (it's also when I'm more apt to eat out than during the week) and I also can be more indulgent in physical activity...so where during the week I might walk my dog a couple times per day and do some calisthenics a couple of days, weekends tend more towards 3-4+ hour mountain bike rides, hitting the gym, etc and that increased activity definitely leads to some inflammation and thus water weight...so a Sunday or Monday morning weigh in is kind of pointless.

Also, most people who are looking for more or less consistent numbers will weigh in the morning after the restroom...basically same time (roughly) and under the same conditions. It doesn't do you much good to weigh in the morning and then the next week you weigh in the afternoon after you've consumed food and liquids or with clothes on, etc since food and liquids and clothing are going to add weight.

I’ve actually been good :)
    I don’t over indulge the weekend I stick to the same calories :) tell a lie apart from this Saturday just gone I treated myself to pie and chips from the chip shop because u know…when that thing that women get every month comes 😩😩😩 u just crave a chippy 🤣🤣😁😁

But other than that I’ve been quite good considering :)

This week obviously I’ve put water weight on because of the woman’s thing…it’s just frustrating

I’ll try libra now :) I’ll give it a go :) thanks wolfman 😁😁😘😘 xx
  • Retroguy2000
    Retroguy2000 Posts: 1,515 Member
    edited October 2023
    Options
    Weekly, first thing Monday morning.

I know there can be noise on any single snapshot in time, so whatever number I see that day doesn't faze me either way.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,526 Member
    Options
    Lildarlinz wrote: »
    Do you weigh everyday?
    Weekly?
    Monthly?

I really need to stop standing on my scales…because it’s just not doing me any favours…

When I see the water weight…it makes me wanna give up 😩😩😩😩
    If it's something you can't handle, you should consider just weighing once a week.

I weigh everyday, first thing in the morning after using the bathroom.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 35+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• jenroberts96
    jenroberts96 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    i uselessly weight myself on monday moring
  • herringboxes
    herringboxes Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    The most important two things:

1- weigh in the morning, after using the toilet, before eating or drinking, in the same state of dress/undress each time.

2- do NOT weigh yourself at any other point in the day.

If I recall correctly, you were weighing yourself multiple times daily. Maybe I remember wrong, and I think you’ve stopped the multiple daily weigh ins, but I do want to make sure you’re doing 1 and 2 above.

Number three is:

3- use a weight trending app.

The next consideration is whether to do daily or weekly weigh ins. It could go either way. Sometimes weekly is better, but sometimes you get bad luck and hit an outlier day.

I’d say if you do 1, 2, and 3, and stick with them for a month, the issue of frequency will fade. That you will be okay daily or weekly, after getting a trend going.
  • JoLightensUp
    JoLightensUp Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I weigh every morning and record it in the Libra app. I lost weight steadily a few years ago and watched my daily weigh-ins bounce around all through that time.

I can understand not weighing daily if it messes with your head.

I've just started adding short notes in Libra when I record my weight and I'm finding it useful. I just add a sentence or two to say how I'm feeling or what I thinks helping or what I'm planning to focus on. Or just to pat myself on the back! :) It's kind of working as a mini-journal for me. I like looking at the Libra database and seeing my notes next to my weigh-ins.
  • suzyfrancoise
    suzyfrancoise Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I weigh in every day. I adjust my eating to my weigh in.
  • tomcustombuilder
    tomcustombuilder Posts: 1,628 Member
    edited October 2023
    Options
    Don’t adjust eating to daily fluctuations they are water
  • claireychn074
    claireychn074 Posts: 1,343 Member
    Options
    Probably every couple of weeks. Sometimes it’s weekly (usually if I have a comp coming up as I need to make sure I fit the weight category), other times it might be a month before I weigh myself.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,398 Member
    Options

Daily fluctuations are normal for so many reasons: more or less poop in your intestines, water retention for 100s of reasons, not sleeping well, if you don't weight naked then your clothes, when you've eaten last the previous evening, sipping on a bit of water during the night or not, general scale variation (yes, that's a thing). None of these have anything to do with bodyfat. Thus don't eat based on your scale but eat the calories consistently that MPF gives you, provided you've chosen a realistic weightloss goal and activity level.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,398 Member
    Options
    I weight every morning. I usually turn it into a game and guess my weight based on what I did the previous day. I'm super bad with it though. On the other hand, this gives me a rough idea of my mental state: overestimate massively then I'm possibly not quite happy, underestimating massively: uh.. not sure what it means apart from being unrealistic. Fairly good guess: yeah, will be a fine day. :D