Reducing my diabetes meds and lowest weight since high school!

Options
cszulc
cszulc Posts: 39 Member
edited October 2023 in Success Stories
Still in my health and weight loss journey but wanted to share this success.

Type 2 diabetic since Fall 2020 - likely had been for several years prior but never took screenings seriously. Went to new PCP and they took labs - 12.8 A1c so I was diagnosed T2 diabetic and immediately put on 1000mg x 2 daily metformin and 5mg Glipizide ER. Also had borderline high cholesterol. 250lbs at this point.

Took it seriously for a few months but fell back into my ways of eating wrong and not caring - from Fall 2020 to Fall 2022 my A1cs ranged from 6.4-7.4. Not terrible but the two 7+s made my doc bump the Glipizide to 10mg daily. Ranged from 245-270 lbs these two years.

Last November I took a look at my life and decided it was time to change it, forever. I made a drastic career change that was going to give me less stress in life. I rejoined a gym. I took meal planning and nutrition seriously, and used MFP religiously as I had done about a decade prior. Over the last 11 months, I have gone from 270 to 216 pounds, fell in love with group fitness classes, biking and just fitness in general. Feel amazing and can't believe I didn't do this sooner. Haven't been this low weight-wise since the 11th grade!!

But best of all, I had my annual physical yesterday and labs came back GREAT. A1c down to 5.9 - cholesterol and all else all NORMAL. Earlier this year, doc had reduced Glipizide from 10mg to 2.5mg...Today, I am OFF it completely and on Metformin only. I still have more to go in my journey (don't we all, as this is a LIFELONG endeavor) but this is a great moment to celebrate.

Replies

Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!