Just wondering…it’s probably not that easy 🤣

Options
Hey guys..
So I like making things from scratch :)

I’ve learnt how to add a new food

But what I wanted to know is…

Usually I will make a lasagna in a Pyrex dish…but only have maybe a slice of it

Is there a way that you can group everything you put it as a new food
Then just weigh whatever you have and put it as say 100gs if you have 100gs of lasagna

If you get what I mean

I obviously wouldn’t well maybe I would eat a whole Pyrex dish…not trying to blow smoke up my own butt but my lasagnas are good 🤣🤣

Thankssss :D

Replies

• sollyn23l2
    sollyn23l2 Posts: 1,612 Member
    Options
    Create a "meal" in your diary using all the ingredients. Then add whatever portion of the lasagna you eat to your diary as your serving size (.5, .25. .1, however much of it you ate).
  • Lildarlinz
    Lildarlinz Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    sollyn23l2 wrote: »
    Create a "meal" in your diary using all the ingredients. Then add whatever portion of the lasagna you eat to your diary as your serving size (.5, .25. .1, however much of it you ate).

Thank you sollyn :) xx
  • Rockymountainliving
    Options
    I also bought a bunch of glass containers with lids and split up the dish right away. 1/2 cups for me, 1 cup containers for my husband. A couple go in the fridge and the rest in the freezer. I often hit my calorie limit in the afternoon, but my husband needs some type of dinner, so this works for us.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,398 Member
    Options
    I just made a bowl of lasagna. My way of dealing with this is probably a bit different because I frequently cook new things and don't want to add everything to my meals. I cook the dish, and while doing so weigh all ingredients. I log them in my diary just simply for dinner (I only cook dinners). Then I see the total calories and decide I can eat 4x from it. So I divide all ingredients by four, open the single ingredients up again and change the weight divided by 4. Now I have the calories for a single meal. Yeah, the four portions will be slightly different every day I eat from this, but it will obviously even out in the end. If I eat this again the next day I just copy the entry from the previous day in the app. If I freeze a part of it I put the cooking date on the tupperware so I know on which date to find the original diary entry in MFP and copy from there.
  • MaggieGirl135
    MaggieGirl135 Posts: 977 Member
    Options
    I agree with creating a meal, but with weighing it. Create the meal, logging the weight of each ingredient. Then bake it, then weigh the entire dish (the container and the meal in it). Subtract out the weight of the dish (yes, I know the weight of my different (empty) dishes, signed me up as a nerd). Then, weigh your portion before eating it and use the proportion/percentage of the meal. Meaning, if the meal (without the dish weight) weighs 1000g and you eat 200 g, then you log that you ate 0.2 of that dish. It’s a more precise, but I understand if you just want to eyeball your portion and use that percentage.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,979 Member
    Options
    For lasagna I would use the recipe feature instead of the meals feature.
  • no1racefan2
    no1racefan2 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I also prefer the recipe feature and I use this almost every night since we cook most meals from scratch. I'll write down grams or other measurements as I make the meal, and then log it all as a recipe after dinner. Works nice for leftovers the next day, as I can just add that recipe again. And if I need to adjust the recipe the next time, it's easy to edit it later.

Just estimate how many servings, i.e. maybe a pan of lasagna = 8 servings. I visually divide it into 8 pieces. If I take more than 1 piece, I'll log that as 1.5 servings or whatever.