The struggle is real!

Hi everyone! I’m Beth and I live in NY on Long Island. I am happy to be a part of this community. I’ve been struggling to lose weight and I do great ALL DAY but the nights are very difficult for me. Any tips would be welcome!

Replies

• hellenoliveros
    hellenoliveros Posts: 1 Member
    Hi! I’m from houston, planning to compete in 5 weeks, i need to loose 5 lb, do you think is possible, any recommendations with how much protein , carb, fats. I need to eat daily, and do you think is possible, need some advice plezsey🙏
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,925 Member
    I eat at night all the time. To offset it, I don't eat in the morning. I eat till about 10:30pm most nights (carbing up for the morning workouts) and then don't eat again till after 12pm.

Just save calories for the night. The body doesn't work on a "time clock" per se when you eat. Once you eat, it digests. Whether that's at 7am or 10pm doesn't really matter when it comes to weight loss. It's the total calories at the end of the day that you should monitor.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 35+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 33,837 Member
    Niner's advice is fine.

As an add-on, I'd note that as the day goes on and we reach evening, we're getting more and more fatigued, simply because we're further from the previous rest. Fatigue can trigger the body to seek energy, and food is energy, so we get crave-y. With fatigue, our willpower budget may also be less, so it's easy to give in to the cravings.

So, if your sleep quality or quantity is ideal, improving that may reduce evening cravings. If stress is high, stress reduction or better stress management techniques may also help, because stress increases fatigue.

Another option, slightly different from Niner's advice to simply save calories for the evening, is to experiment with different timing of eating or improved/different nutrition during the day, and see if that helps.

That sort of thing tends to be very individual, so others can give you ideas to try, but it can be really helpful to notice your own feelings with varied eating on different days, and adjust based on your personal experience.

For me personally, I found that I had fewer evening cravings if I got a solid breakfast with ample protein, then protein through the day, plus volume at some point (like lots of veggies at dinner). In addition, I found that eating more fruit reduced my evening cravings for less nutrient-dense sweets like candy or baked goods. I'm not saying those specific patterns would work for you, because everyone's different. I'm just giving that as a concrete example of the kind of variation in eating that I'm talking about.

Best wishes!
  • MacLowCarbing
    MacLowCarbing Posts: 350 Member
    Hi everyone! I’m Beth and I live in NY on Long Island. I am happy to be a part of this community. I’ve been struggling to lose weight and I do great ALL DAY but the nights are very difficult for me. Any tips would be welcome!

Hi. I grew up in Bklyn (left NY in my late 20s). Had a lot of family out on the Island.

As a night owl, I struggled with nighttime mindless eating, grazing, picking, binging, etc... name it.

I think finding a way of eating that your body finds satiating and your mind finds satisfying is important or it's never gonna be sustainable. For some people that's loads of veggies and fruits, for some it's high protein snacks, for me it was low-carb/high fat and that has absolutely killed cravings and hunger, I only eat once or twice per day and don't think about food beyond that anymore.

You can also always save a snack for nighttime when you prefer to have it so you can get a bit of enjoyment out of it. As long as you're working it into your daily allotted calories it shouldn't do any harm.

For me, I have taken to intermittent fasting where after a certain hour I don't eat anymore, and that is helping to train me to 1) make sure I get my nutrition in when I can eat and 2) not think about food once that window is shut.

There are lots of approaches, it's important to find the one that works for you.