How to kick start weight loss

Options
I currently eat about 900 cals and workout 3 or 4 times a week but I'm not losing weight. Does anyone know of a all natural or plant based supplement to help me lose weight

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,699 Member
    Options
    Stats? Height, weight, age?

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 35+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • Limey9681
    Limey9681 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I am 55yrs old I weigh 147. I have a liver disease called MASH where i have to eat low carb, low fat and low sugar. How can I get extra calories in and keep these levels low
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,545 Member
    edited October 2023
    Options
    Have you talked to a registered dietician who has knowledge on this? Based on what I read, fruit and veggies are fine, but saturated fats, refined carbs, processed and fried food and simple sugars should be avoided, but maybe you've been told different things. If you can eat all those things there's a massive amount of choice. Also, do you need to lose weight? It seems normal, not knowing your size.
  • Limey9681
    Options
    So I have to lose another 10lbs in order to reverse the MASH disease. I have been doing all of what you said and eat fruits. Veg and avoid red meat but even those contain high sugar and carbs
  • wm3796
    wm3796 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I think you may mean NASH not MASH. It’s nonalcoholic steatohepatatitis( fatty inflamed liver). Lean meats including chicken, lean beef, fish do not have sugar or carbohydrates. Also eat non starchy vegetables such as broccoli , mixed greeens, etc. . Low fat Greek yogurt with few berries, eggs.
  • Limey9681
    Options
    That's pretty much what I eat. I'm gonna try and change my around a Lil
    Thanks for the info
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,913 Member
    edited October 2023
    Options
    If you need a “sweet” treat, Greek yogurt whipped with sugar free instant pudding mix is very good. I particularly like the lemon. It tastes like mousse.

I make a homemade ice cream with plain Greek yogurt or plain skyr whipped with sugar free pudding. You can use an old fashioned Donvier type freezer, but we invested in a Ninja Creami and enjoy ice cream every night. Last night was sugar free vanilla ice cream float with a sugar free Barq’s.
  • Pattymac5000
    Pattymac5000 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Springlering62 what is your full recipe for the greek yogurt/pudding ice cream? Are those the only ingredients?
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    Springlering62 what is your full recipe for the greek yogurt/pudding ice cream? Are those the only ingredients?

Here's a Ninja Creami thread with a link to another thread with recipes:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10888771/ninja-creami
  • kshama2001
    Options
    Limey9681 wrote: »
    So I have to lose another 10lbs in order to reverse the MASH disease. I have been doing all of what you said and eat fruits. Veg and avoid red meat but even those contain high sugar and carbs

Do ask your doctor for a referral to a registered dietitian.

This article indicates that for your condition, it's not carbs and sugar per se that is important, but that you eat foods with low glycemic index, such as most fruits, vegetables, and whole grains.

https://www.niddk.nih.gov/health-information/liver-disease/nafld-nash/eating-diet-nutrition

Here's another NASH diet article. Again, it doesn't suggest you limit carbs per se, but foods with added sugar or that are highly processed, and again limit or avoid white bread and white rice. Many of the foods recommended are high carb vegetables, fruits, and whole grains.

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/nash-diet
  • kshama2001
    Options

Go here: https://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/change-goals-guided or More > Goals in app.
    1. Put in your stats.
    2. normal daily activities refers to your job.
    3. Ignore How many times a week do you plan on exercising? - that does not get included in the equation.
    4. Select Lose 0.5 pound per week.

The resulting calories is your daily calorie budget. It's normal to go a little over or under, but since weight loss is already included in these calories, you don't want to intentionally go hundreds of calories under.

With this little to lose, it's going to be slow, and should be slow, as you do not have the fat stores to support a more aggressive rate of loss. I suggest using a weight trend app, such as Happy Scale for iphone or Libra for Android.

9kjwnia17qv9.jpg
  • MacLowCarbing
    MacLowCarbing Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    I am 55yrs old I weigh 147. I have a liver disease called MASH where i have to eat low carb, low fat and low sugar. How can I get extra calories in and keep these levels low

Not a dr. or nutritionist here but I would think the way to go with lean meats like chicken/turkey breast, lower-fat fish (tilapia, flounder, cod), and lots of veggies (esp. greens-- kale, broccoli, spinach, Brussel's sprouts, cabbage, asparagus, etc.).
  • Lildarlinz
    Lildarlinz Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Hiiii

I’ve read somewhere that eating 900 calories is only recommended by a doctor or with a nutritional professional like a dietician and that would only be if you were Obese xx

900 calories is not sustainable.I did it before and put the weight back on and got severe headaches and felt very lethargic

Maybe speak to your doctor regarding losing weight and see what he can advise you to do :)

I’ve been doing 1200 calories, and my weight hasn’t budged for a few weeks..somebody mentioned maybe upping your calorie intake a little :) they then starting seeing results x
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,913 Member
    edited October 2023
    Options

For pudding, it’s simply a serving of Greek yogurt, about half a box of sugar free pudding mix of your choice, and (if desired) a little bit of ice water. I whip it with an egg beater.

It tastes like a nice mousse. The best tasting has been Royal brand, but it’s not available here, so I ordered it off Amazon. Jello brand is more expensive and also often hard to find since the Pandemic, so we usually use Kroger brand.

I also, courtesy of @Noreenmarie1234 make a pumpkin version:
    Serving of Greek yogurt
    Can of pumpkin purée
    3/4c cold water
    Box of vanilla sugar free
    Cinnamon
    Pumpkin pie spice to taste
    Whip well and chill for at least 15 minutes
    You can also add a little Jordan’s zero cal Skinny Syrup to taste, too. Simple syrup or salted caramel work well. I’m not a fan of their pumpkin spice flavors

Makes three large servings.

BTW if sugar is an issue for you, try some Vietnamese or Saigon cinnamon. It’s much stronger than grocery store cinnamons and provides a very sweet taste to coffee, chai, ice cream with no sugar. The Saigon is different than “regular” cinnamon and in large quantities can affect people with kidney (?)issues so clear it with your doctor. You’d be pretty hard pressed to use it in those quantities though. Frontier Coop brand is terrific. I buy a pound every year or two.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,020 Member
    Options
    Nash basically reverses as does fatty liver on low carb or ketogenic diet.