Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

California becomes the first state to ban 4 food additives linked to disease

Options
kshama2001
kshama2001 Posts: 27,900 Member
edited October 2023 in Debate Club
https://www.npr.org/2023/10/10/1204839281/california-ban-food-additives-red-dye-3-propylparaben-candy

California has become the first U.S. state to outlaw the use of four potentially harmful food and drink additives that have been linked to an array of diseases, including cancer, and are already banned in dozens of countries.

The California Food Safety Act prohibits the manufacturing, distribution and sale of food and beverages that contain brominated vegetable oil, potassium bromate, propylparaben, and red dye 3 — which can be found in candy, fruit juices, cookies and more.

Backers of the law say it doesn't mean popular products will suddenly disappear from store shelves, but rather that companies will have to tweak their recipes to be able to offer the same food and drink items with healthier ingredients.

...The law won't be implemented until 2027, which Newsom says will give companies enough time to "revise their recipes to avoid these harmful chemicals" in their products.

Replies

• SunshineHardcore
    SunshineHardcore Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I'm all for it. There are so many things banned in other countries that have contributed to health issues here in the US.

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,523 Member
    Options
    California helps to set some trends that are better for our health many times. Banning smoking from public places was definitiely one of them. I'm not entirely sure of the list above, but the less additives we put in things the better.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 35+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,147 Member
    Options
    Eat mostly food, rather than food products: Those things aren't going to be a big problem, at n=1.

But there's a collective benefit in protecting the populace from themselves, sometimes, sure.
  • SafariGalNYC
    SafariGalNYC Posts: 907 Member
    edited October 2023
    Options
    It’s a step in the right direction. The 4 listed are linked to cancer and neurological disorders.

Red #3 (made from petroleum) was taken out of cosmetics in the US in the 1990s as it was cited as a carcinogen but kept in food! 🤷🏼‍♀️

I don’t want to think about how many skittles I ate when I was little. . 😳 🤦🏼‍♀️