Isolation due to weight gain

Options
For the past 20 years, I have isolated myself when I gained weight. I avoided all of life because I was " waiting to get thin."

I have missed a tremendous amount of my life because I was overweight and ashamed of myself.

About 2 years ago I changed my eating and exercise and reached my goal weight. I have maintained this for 2 years...until last month. I have been over eating for about 4 weeks and have gained about 15 pounds.

So now...I want to go back to my "old ways" and hide-out until I drop these extra pounds. This is not a mentally healthy thing to do.

I've decided:
1) I am going to live my life. ( fat, thin, or in-between)
2) I am NOT going into hiding. Although I really, really want to!
3) I am going to find ways to eat well and take care of myself. This may mean picking a healthy resturant or bringing my own food...or whatever.
4) Living my life, eating well, exercise, getting honest =
weight loss.
5 I can get back to my goal weight. And I am not going into hiding!!

This sounds overly dramatic...but these actions take courage.

Anyone else feel way? How do you deal with it?

Thanks!

Replies

• jennygeo1
    jennygeo1 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I absolutely know what you mean. As i gained weight i gradually stopped doing things that I enjoy. Not necessarily because i couldn't do it, but because i just felt uncomfortable in my own body. My clothes didn't fit right, i hated my picture taken, and I didn't want to run into anyone that i hadn't seen for a while (out of fear that they would be like "omg, she got gross"). i'm down about 20lb now and feel better. I have a long way to go, but i know as time goes on it will get easier. I'm gradually getting back into my old hobbies - so happy.
  • abtsdiet
    abtsdiet Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Jenny...thanks for sharing. I am glad to know I am not alone.
  • AndyBloot
    Options
    It sucks to 'relapse', but that's just the way it is sometimes
    It was only for a month in 2 years which doesn't sound that bad to me
    Best part is, you're back on track knowing that you can relapse and recover from it stronger than before
    Athletes can suffer debilitating injuries that see their weight balloon, but they get back on track as soon as they are able
    It's all about attitude, and you have the right attitude to succeed

Embrace your courage and let go of the shame
    Tell yourself that it doesn't matter what other people think (because it doesn't)
    i take my own food to a bbq (big in Australia) and drink water rather than beer
    This sort of behavior is seen as un-Australian, but I just join in the laugh

And you know, it's OK to hide out sometimes
    I'm an introvert anyway, so I just try and find a healthy way to to do so (no TV and snacks)
    I go to the gym with my 'don't talk to me' face on sometimes because i don't feel like talking
    I'll put on some music and get on my treadmill at home
    I'll go for a walk or run in the bush when I'm unlikely to come across anyone
    I even put on my headlamps and go for a night walk/ run with the dog

You've been going great, so don't let 1 month get you down
  • abtsdiet
    abtsdiet Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Today has been better. It's just so hard to break old habits.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    I can relate 100%. I was at my goal weight for about 7 years until I decided to lose those healthy habits and gain about 33 back in about 3 years. Now I've lost 21 and have about 12 lbs until I reach my goal, which is the weight I was 10 years ago.

I want to isolate when I gain, but I stop myself because I have a busy life.