Insurance won’t cover weight loss medication

I have yo-yo dieting for 50 years. I’ve tried every plan out there from Weight Watchers to meda-fast Nutrisystem’s you name it. I’ve tried it I can’t get a handle on this, so went to my doctor. They tried to get me authorized for Monjouro or any of the weight-loss medication‘s but of course my insurance won’t cover it. I’m denied because I’m not prediabetic, the fact that I am morbidly obese, high blood pressure high triglycerides insulin resistance, PCOS. Those items aren’t good enough, so should I just go eat a lot of sugar so I could become pre-diabetic and then I can get the medication so here I am I need my fitness community to help me ? Please

Replies

• Jared62170
    Jared62170 Posts: 21 Member
    Hi, not sur it's the best idea to get sicker just to have access to mounjaro. It's not miracle drug, it comes with side effects. Even with it your doctor will ask you to follow a diet with it. There are plenty of stories here of peoples who managed to loose thousands of pounds by healty eating, why would it be different for you? Just go step by step and be patient.

Hope we can help you on your weight loss the right way.
  • Corina1143
    Corina1143 Posts: 3,488 Member
    edited October 2023
    My opinion--
    Throw out Weight Watchers. Ditch NutriSystem. Forgot Weight loss medication. Start on the Mary Ghaemian meal plan for Weight loss and better health. Start logging immediately. Don't expect to be good at it the first day, but keep trying and learning. Try to add low calorie, high nutrient foods that you like to your meals. Let those foods crowd out the high calorie, low nutrient foods.
    Don't expect everything to go well. Some days will be better than others. The more days you try, the more good days you'll have.
    Don't expect results immediately. Quit the yo-yo track. Celebrate the small victories.
    There are good hints and ideas here, and it's easy to make good friends. Stay here and use them.

I'm not diabetic, but I have high blood pressure, high cholesterol, high triglycerides, and I was obese. Now overweight and working on that. My blood pressure is now well controlled. Blood tests for other #s next month.
  • MacLowCarbing
    MacLowCarbing Posts: 350 Member
    ... should I just go eat a lot of sugar so I could become pre-diabetic and then I can get the medication so here I am I need my fitness community to help me ? Please

I am diabetic... I do not recommend that approach for multiple reasons.

First off, diabetes can't be turned on and off. It means there is damage to your pancreas so it can't produce enough insulin, or it means you become insulin-resistant. It's not that easy to just undo these things.

Second, I've been on Ozempic & Mounjaro... I got off because they made me sick. Like really sick-- constant indigestion, nausea, vomiting, stomach churning. If they make you sick and you can't stay on them, you might have pushed yourself into diabetes for nothing.

Third, they are only a tool-- you can't be on them forever and if you don't change your lifestyle then they are going to work very slowly, and eventually when you get off you are gonna gain it back.

Finally, after all that you might not get approved for that med anyway, they might decide you need insulin shots or something.

It's just too risky a gamble.

I tried a lot of plans in the past but I found what works best for me by just playing with my macros-- lowering carbs, raising fat, up & down with the protein, etc. till I found my sweet spot & now I am satisfied by 1 or 2 meals per day and I don't get crazy cravings/ binge urges anymore. Maybe play around with them till you find your sweet spot.

Ultimately in the long term it comes down to calorie deficit (and keeping track so you don't overdo it) and patience. May be harder for some people, like people with PCOS but in the long run it is what every diet plan comes down to, no matter who made it or how much it costs.