Whey Protein?

Options
MamaBear5445
MamaBear5445 Posts: 59 Member
edited October 2023 in Recipes
I'd like to buy some whey protein powder to have more protein in my family's diet, but need some advice on what I should buy as there seems to be several options at the grocery store. I'd like to add it to our homemade bread and to pancakes. Does the protein lose its effectiveness after baking?

Replies

• Corina1143
    Corina1143 Posts: 2,909 Member
    Options
    Isopure makes an unflavored one that has 25 grams of protein, 100 calories. My choice because I can add it to almost anything if I need just a little more protein for the day. I often add 1/5 or maybe 1/10 scoop. Easily available at Walmart.
    Cvs makes one in vanilla ice cream or milkshake (I forgot) that tastes really good, but more calories for less protein and lots of added things that might not be right for you. That's the only 2 I remember.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,964 Member
    Options
    I'd like to buy some whey protein powder to have more protein in my family's diet, but need some advice on what I should buy as there seems to be several options at the grocery store. I'd like to add it to our homemade bread and to pancakes. Does the protein lose its effectiveness after baking?

The protein won't lose its effectiveness from baking, and my experience from using pancake mix that includes protein powder is that it won't interfere with the pancake rise.

You might want to search for bread recipes that include protein powder already, rather than tinkering with an existing recipe, as bread can be sensitive to changes.

The protein powder might absorb some of the liquid in the bread dough, meaning you'll have to be prepared for possible sad loaves until you figure out what needs to be done. If the protein powder contains either sugar or salt, that could throw the yeast cycle off.
  • MamaBear5445
    MamaBear5445 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Thank you @Corina1143 & @lynn_glenmont for the advice
  • mjbnj0001
    mjbnj0001 Posts: 1,078 Member
    edited October 2023
    Options
    I use the Jarrow unflavored whey protein concentrate. I use it nearly daily for breakfast in morning oatmeal, as part of a recovery drink for after cycling, added into bread flour as I bake our daily bread, and more. With bread, I find that 1-2 scoops doesn't materially impact the loaf or taste, but more begins to show more browning when toasting and the taste starts to come forward. You can pick your level, I've tried up to 4, but now stick to 2. In these amounts, I don't displace flour, I add this to the mix (add a bit more water too). I figure about 1g of added protein per slice per scoop (18-20 avg. slices per loaf; my bread itself has more protein per slice than most commercial loaves). I started this regimen prior to the pandemic lockdowns, and in the lockdown period I made a number of experiments with it, not all were successful enough to add to the repertoire. This particular version of whey has no additives (other than lecithin for non-clumping) and has been consistent for me for about 5 years. Sources say that using whey in this manner does not impact its protein and I believe I'm doing pretty well with it. As a 69yo, I have adjusted my protein macro a bit higher to account for presumed reduction in protein digestion efficiency.
  • alexcoub
    alexcoub Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I used whey protein to recover from an injury and it really helped me recover faster.