Fueling for a run

Options
Hiya
I'm training to do a 12km running event. I'm up to 7km so far
Question, do you eat before your run? I currently have a latte and hard boiled egg. Because I'm still counting calories I was wondering what you find helps
Thanks

Replies

• westrich20940
    westrich20940 Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    I don't typically eat before runs. I get indigestion and burp a lot and I don't like it. So I run on an empty stomach, largely, if I can.

I *might have a banana or mandarin orange or something. I use running gels if I'm running more than ~45min though. I'll take that ~30min in.
  • Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    I don't do well eating before my runs, unless it's something lighter/smaller like a banana. For longer runs I'll sometimes have some fruit or other high carb snack (for example some crackers) beforehand, and a running gel halfway through.

I once did a 16km run without fueling, quite a lot further than I was used to, before I knew any better - a learning experience :mrgreen: Boy, did I feel nauseous and weak afterwards from lack of carbs and electrolytes!
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,676 Member
    Options
    Before a race or long run, I'll usually eat a bagel or muffin and a banana. Bland and with carbs. Normally I run 2 hours after lunch or breakfast, so after cereal, oatmeal, a bagel, or a peanut butter sandwich. I've found that fat or too much sugar doesn't agree with my stomach at all. Do some experimenting though. I have a friend who races on donuts and mountain dew.
  • claireychn074
    claireychn074 Posts: 1,344 Member
    Options
    I’m the opposite. I eat generously before exercise: I like to give it an hour or so to digest but I’ll have a decent sized meal first if I can. Used to know someone who ran long distance cross county and he had a bumbag, with a huge chunk of Christmas cake, sweets, banana, bread and all sorts of stuff. He’d eat it ALL during the race. Now, I defo couldn’t do that.
  • ltomberry
    ltomberry Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    It depends. If you're running less than an hour, you probably don't need anything extra beyond your usual diet. Especially if it's easy pace in the slow (fat burning) zone. Allow 1 to 2 hours after a meal to allow blood sugar to stabilize. When you consume carbs, your blood glucose goes up and so does insulin - that's its job. Insulin inhibits your ability to burn fat so let it run its course first.

If it's a faster workout or race, include some carbohydrates in your breakfast. Carbs are not evil and have a purpose. It's rocket fuel for your muscles when effort is high. Again give it time to digest and most importantly, don't try anything new on race day.
  • mrmota70
    mrmota70 Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    I can easily eat half a lox bagel or sesame with cream cheese and a cup or 2 of coffee. 4-6 oz of Icelandic skyr or Greek yogurt with about same amount of fruit(mango, pineapple, cherries) is another one of my lighter go to fuel that at least for me is not to heavy.

pedfue87u9t8.jpeg

Above was todays meal before I went for a quick 4 mile run.
  • lawkat
    lawkat Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    I only have a cup of coffee before my morning run which is usually at 5k except for once a week (usually Saturday) where I do my long run, which is a 10k at the moment but am trying to get beyond that. Even then, I don't do anything other than a cup of coffee and my morning pills with some water. Maybe if I get up into the double digits mile wise, I will have like a half a banana or something like that. That is what I do and some people might need more before their runs.
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    Options
    Lately, I've been having most of a big mug of tea even IF I (rarely) do a morning run (always less than 5 miles, slow pace). It's weird, but I like it and it doesn't bother me at all. I wish I had the motivation to do it more.

In the afternoon before dinner (when I more commonly run), I'll have most of at 16oz Nuun electrolyte drink. It has no calories, but I find it settles my stomach.

On a weekend, when I'm going to do more than an hour of running or cycling in the morning or whenever, I eat something small before I start (toast and jam), and carry a packet of Gu in case I feel like I need something on the run. If I'm going for 2 hours, I carry more Gu and might bring along a banana or something.

Yes, it takes a lot of experimenting, and you might get a sour stomach someday. Everyone is different!
  • TxDesertFox
    TxDesertFox Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    For me if it's less than an hour I'm usually fine with a banana or coffee (but I add collagen powder to mine). An hour to an hour and a half, I'll try to consume more calories - oatmeal + banana, Pop-Tart. If it's longer (2+ hours) my go to is Pop-Tarts and packing something to snack on during my runs, but if you're still watching calories, that's probably not a great recommendation. lol
  • ricky9676h
    ricky9676h Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    It depends on you and what you’re use to. Everyone needs some fuel to run and there are many options to get that fuel. Body gets fuel from carbs the fastest, then fats, and finally proteins.
    Start off with something small like 1/2 banana (carb heavy) and a table spoon of peanut butter (protein) it’s low calories still and will give you some quick energy with a little prolonged energy as well. Then use gel packs along the way. For me it’s about every 45-50 minutes if I am at a 75-80 max heart rate over an hour. Hope that helps. Google ”understanding macros for workout energy”
  • HeshamEmara
    HeshamEmara Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    the best dvice is to have 3 to 7 dates fruit 6en3peaoqfb3.jpg

The best advice that works for all of who have tried, is to have 3 to 7 dates fruit & drink some water 45 minutes before running. You will never regret that.

Note ( if you have diabetes, please get your doctor`s advice first)
  • scavonedan
    scavonedan Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I agree with some others. Every morning for my 3 miles I just have a coffee about 30 minutes to an hour beforehand. If I do a half marathon then it is a mandarin orange and half an English muffin with peanut butter. half way through the half another small mandarin. anything more than that I feel sick or get cramps.
  • DoubleG2
    DoubleG2 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    The short answer is, 'it depends'. Are you running first thing in the morning? Are you fasted or have you eaten a few hours before you run? How long does it take you to run 7K? If it's less than an hour you're probably good with your latte and hard boiled egg.

Everyone is different. For me personally, anything shorter than 10 miles and I don't see the need to fuel before I run. But I preferred to workout in a fasted state in most cases.

If you are feeling out of energy part way through your run, then I would consider adding a banana or bagel/toast with peanut butter thirty minutes prior to running. But if you're feeling OK, then maybe it's not necessary for you.