Exercising with thumb arthritis

Options
tmbg1
tmbg1 Posts: 1,282 Member
Any tips for working out with thumb arthritis? I do strength training at the gym and yoga, and my painful thumb arthritis is making it difficult.

Replies

• sollyn23l2
    sollyn23l2 Posts: 1,612 Member
    Options
    tmbg1 wrote: »
    Any tips for working out with thumb arthritis? I do strength training at the gym and yoga, and my painful thumb arthritis is making it difficult.

What if you used something like a thumb brace that would keep it stable and keep pressure off it?
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,462 Member
    edited October 2023
    Options

I’m having this exact same problem! Arthritis never occurred to me, though. I’m assuming over use and poor technique instead, for myself.

I’m also having a bit of an issue with “trigger finger” in the mornings.

I’m working on stiffening my wrists to see if that helps. As opposed to letting wrists move and flex on things like curls, flies,rows etc.

I do a lot of yoga arm balances, hand weights and barbells, and use aquabells (high resistance), each several times a week, so I’m trying to be mindful of technique to see if that helps.

I’ve also found that keeping my hands mobile helps, which for me, includes crochet and needlework.

There are special crafting gloves that are supposed provide compression and extra heat to help with hand pain, but I haven’t yet tried those.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    I'm 68 with OA and have started Tai Chi. It has many hand movements and exercises that are helpful. You might want to take a look and see if it could make a difference in your case. Good luck.

PS: I do Yoga too, but Tai Chi has more hand movement.
  • tmbg1
    Options
    I haven't found a brace that still let's me grip weights or do any arm balances. It's so frustrating and painful! Might tri Tai chi I've always been curious about it
  • Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,118 Member
    Options
    Would gripping aids be helpful?

This is a random example I googled:
    https://www.activehands.com/product/general-purpose-gripping-aid/
  • claireychn074
    claireychn074 Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    I have mild thumb arthritis and I use thumb tape. I wrap my thumb joints quite tightly to give support - it might not be enough for bad arthritis but worth a try. This is one of the ones I use;

https://www.amazon.co.uk/WARM-BODY-COLD-MIND-Weightlifting/dp/B098FL89F6/ref=asc_df_B098FL89F6/?tag=googshopuk-21&linkCode=df0&hvadid=652094542271&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=16839849003609510225&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=m&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=1006886&hvtargid=pla-1601766895605&psc=1
  • Mark031111
    Mark031111 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    You can also use wrist wraps to reduce the stress on your thumbs while lifting. Try resistance bands which are thumb friendly and can be used without the need for a tight grip.
  • tmbg1
    Options
    Great suggestions thank you!
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,462 Member
    Options
    Mark031111 wrote: »
    You can also use wrist wraps to reduce the stress on your thumbs while lifting. Try resistance bands which are thumb friendly and can be used without the need for a tight grip.

Any tips on how to wrap? And are they water resistant? My aquabells cause some of it )although they are hella better than the foam jobbies) but the worst is those damn noodles. They hurt so bad to grip.
  • tmbg1
    Options
    Might try wrapping it. I stop exercising due to my thumb rather than any muscle fatigue and it's very frustrating.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,526 Member
    Options
    I haven't found a brace that still let's me grip weights or do any arm balances. It's so frustrating and painful! Might tri Tai chi I've always been curious about it
    Use wrist straps if you have trouble gripping weights. As for arm balances, try from clenched fist, although that may hurt in the beginning.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 35+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png