Back again after a long time :)

I've been on MFP before but it's been a long while so I've decided to give it another go! Does anyone else suffer from lack of motivation? I lose heart quite easily because I can't seem to shift the weight much at all and in fact I've put ON a few pounds lately! How do you overcome an obstacle when the biggest (no pun intended) obstacle is yourself?

Replies

• evileyefirefly
    evileyefirefly Posts: 303 Member
    That's a hard one because its specific to individuals. Finding the motivation is hard, and maintaining the self control required to get started is the biggest obstacle. For me, I found if I stick with a set routine and drink a lot of water (64+ oz a day) I do significantly better. It also helps if you're keeping a normal sleep schedule, and minimize idle time during the day. I also notice when I workout consistently (5 times or so a week) I tend to do better. The biggest obstacle I had was just seeing the scale yo-yo, so I cut my weigh-ins to one a week(Same time - Monday morning 0430). That allows me to not see all the random changes of +/- 3lbs during the week that will kill my motivation, and then I can also analyze anything I may need to change based on the week's result. (I've actually upped my calorie intake due to weight loss being at a plateau. (With all the working out I actually needed more calories so my body didn't go into starvation mode).

I'd also add friends, and make sure you set realistic goals. While 2lbs a week seems realistic, it can be really hard to maintain. If you've ever watched any of the weight loss shows it seems like they just drop pounds and it shouldn't be that hard, but it really is and most those people are so heavy that they will lose significantly more weight than most of us here will. So set those goals and find a group of friends or community (I'm doing the Oct-Dec challenge) to help you stay motivated.

Hope this helps.
  • xbowhunter
    xbowhunter Posts: 1,112 Member
    What helps me is to watch David Goggins motivational videos.
    He doesn't candy coat things and he isn't afraid to say things that may hurt your feelings if you're a snowflake.. :)
  • evileyefirefly
    evileyefirefly Posts: 303 Member
    xbowhunter wrote: »
    What helps me is to watch David Goggins motivational videos.
    He doesn't candy coat things and he isn't afraid to say things that may hurt your feelings if you're a snowflake.. :)

Sounds like the Snake Diet guy.
  • Jared62170
    Jared62170 Posts: 21 Member
    One piece of advise : change slowly by integrating strong habits.
    Changing everything entirely does not fit everyone.

I suggest you integrate 1 thing on your habits during 1 week (ex: Eat more vegetables at one lunch of the week or walk at least 30min once a week). You keep this habit and on week 2 you add an other small habit etc...
    Changing step by step can really improve long term motivation as changes are minor over the weeks and trend to be integrated as part as a routine.
  • 19Sionainn91
    19Sionainn91 Posts: 4 Member
    Thank you for your answers everyone! I have to say that your answer xbowhunter made me laugh :D I'm no snow flake but please remember to always be kind. Sometimes it's not what you say but HOW you say it.