Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Medical advice

Options
2»

Replies

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,419 Member
    Options
    sollyn23l2 wrote: »
    I think the approach of advice matters.

You are xyz condition - you must do this thing I say - not good approach

People with xyz often find abc helpful, I have had success with abc, a suggestion to try is abc, xyz association recommends abc - good approaches

Exactly. I think it's about suggestions vs. dogma. Not that I'm saying people shouldn't give potentially helpful ideas, but understanding that it's not necessarily the best or only one.

That seems idealistic to me, TBH - for it to happen, for people to understand that their "miracle" isn't the best or only answer . . . that's tantamount to wanting a personality transplant or intellect upgrade in other people. Yeah, highly desirable in many cases, here and elsewhere, but 100% not gonna happen.

The people who post that XYZ diet will cure arthritis (or whatever) really, truly believe that XYZ diet will cure arthritis. With that belief, it would seem a moral failing not to share the news. (Probably Big Pharma or something is trying to hide it, so there's a noble David and Goliath hero's quest kind of thing in there in some cases, too. ;) ).

• neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,967 Member
    edited October 2023
    Options
    It's funny how science works. With low carb and ketogenic diets, one of the common acknowledgements is arthritis is diminished or gone all together, and I can attest to that and yes that lives on a continuum where some people see no relief. Is there science that explains that, you bet. Unfortunately many people will not look at science that differs from their ideology or beliefs and actually, they'll literally stop reading something that conflicts with this, and I know because I use to do it. Also suggesting to actually look at science that totally conflicts with ideology for data gathering is on a learning curve to which many never leave the starting line. It's also a very daunting process that takes a lot of investigation and energy that is full of confounders, that make it extremely time consuming, which is a main reason people don't bother.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,419 Member
    Options
    I should've known I'd be sorry if I used an actual disease or health condition as an example. I thought it might be enough to use "XYZ" diet, instead of a real diet. Nope.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,967 Member
    Options
    I was surprised that you just didn't stick to "XYZ" :)
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,574 Member
    Options
    If it's joint, muscle, or certain injuries needed for rehab, I'm qualified to give advice. Endocrinology, I give my opinion on based on experience. But first and foremost, one should consult their own physicians because they are first hand on seeing them up close.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 35+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • loulee997
    loulee997 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    I will explain options that worked for me or people I know. I also say --that no one should make any changes without talking to their doctor.

For example, Vitamin D3 supplements really helped my mood regulation and blood pressure. I had my doctor's approval. I recommend other people also get a doctor's approval before adding any vitamin or supplement.

But if we say you can't share any type of medical info or feedback---we close the door for people researching possibilities.

I am concerned when people recommend supplements or procedures without also saying talk to a doctor before making changes.

So an open information highway is great---but with a caveat about medical safety.