Athletic achievements

Options
Hi, all!

On again/ off again member of MFP. Almost 59 y.o. and work out 4 days a way. I see a lot of young bucks at the gym doing things I used to do (or never could!) and I was reminiscing about the good old days when I was an avid runner and weight lifter and was wondering what some of your personal best achievements were?

Used to BP 405#, run 5K in just over 20 minutes. As recently as 4 years ago leg pressed 1250# and BP 320# for 5-6 reps. My fitness goals have changed and I would like to start getting more into calisthenics and
core work.

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,523 Member
    Options
    Since I was more into bodybuilding, I really never pushed poundages to 1RM. So I really have no idea because I never really attempted them.
    But today at 59 I can still box jump 30-36 inches, break dance and run pretty fast (last treadmilll sprint I got up to 12 mph).

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 35+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • NothinSpecial65
    NothinSpecial65 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Since I was more into bodybuilding, I really never pushed poundages to 1RM. So I really have no idea because I never really attempted them.
    But today at 59 I can still box jump 30-36 inches, break dance and run pretty fast (last treadmilll sprint I got up to 12 mph).

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 35+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

Very impressive at any age, let alone 59! Good stuff!
  • UtahDon
    UtahDon Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    My lifting numbers were probably not far from yours, I was stronger by far at 45 than at 25. I'm 56 right now. I'm a big guy, 6'6" and over 400 today, but I'm still pretty strong. I'm a big fan of Peter Attila and have switched to more of a functional training. I no longer lift what I would consider heavy weights (over 220) as I worry more about injury as I get older. My main goals are to get my weight back around 280 (college weight) and to maintain strength while increasing flexibility and endurance. I've learned a lot about core and balance and my current exercise program is very different than what I did when I was younger. More stretching, more compound movements. I do have a trainer who comes to the house once a week, I've learned a LOT from my trainers and physical therapists. I've never been a runner, but I swim and hike a lot.

I'd recommend Peter's new book "Outlive" for anyone our age.
  • NothinSpecial65
    NothinSpecial65 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    UtahDon wrote: »
    My lifting numbers were probably not far from yours, I was stronger by far at 45 than at 25. I'm 56 right now. I'm a big guy, 6'6" and over 400 today, but I'm still pretty strong. I'm a big fan of Peter Attila and have switched to more of a functional training. I no longer lift what I would consider heavy weights (over 220) as I worry more about injury as I get older. My main goals are to get my weight back around 280 (college weight) and to maintain strength while increasing flexibility and endurance. I've learned a lot about core and balance and my current exercise program is very different than what I did when I was younger. More stretching, more compound movements. I do have a trainer who comes to the house once a week, I've learned a LOT from my trainers and physical therapists. I've never been a runner, but I swim and hike a lot.

I'd recommend Peter's new book "Outlive" for anyone our age.

Good stuff, Don! I'm right there with ya on the whole heavy lifting thing. I find a weight I can handle 12-15 reps to be a good guideline with occasional days of 6-8 rep sets.

I'm 6', 225#, not looking to drop much below 215, so my goal is not as lofty as yours.
  • evileyefirefly
    evileyefirefly Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Hi, all!

On again/ off again member of MFP. Almost 59 y.o. and work out 4 days a way. I see a lot of young bucks at the gym doing things I used to do (or never could!) and I was reminiscing about the good old days when I was an avid runner and weight lifter and was wondering what some of your personal best achievements were?

Used to BP 405#, run 5K in just over 20 minutes. As recently as 4 years ago leg pressed 1250# and BP 320# for 5-6 reps. My fitness goals have changed and I would like to start getting more into calisthenics and
    core work.

So I've never been a weights person, but my 2 achievements I've stuck to is running a half marathon averaging a 9min mile, and running 1.5mi in 7:30. While I enjoyed it at the time I really have no desire to repeat either so I'm doing the other end now and hitting the weights.
  • AlphaHowls
    AlphaHowls Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    Hoptown Half Marathon over weekend
    Age 52
    36th Overall (out of 162)
    8th Place Gender (out of 86)
    1st place Age (50-54) (out of 11)
    1:55:57
    Over all Pace 08:51
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,154 Member
    Options
    @DarrylBurrows4773, might I suggest you consider finding age-group norms for whatever activity you decide to pursue? It's more realistic, and probably will feel more positive. ;)

It's been a long time now, but as an athletic accomplishment, I think my best was right after losing weight from class 1 obese to a healthy weight (50+ pounds), so dropping into the machine rowing lightweight category just as I aged into the 60-69 class. This was just in time for the first annual World Indoor Rowing Sprints, a virtual rowing machine race sponsored by World Rowing and Concept 2.

I'd been rowing (on water and machine) for over a dozen years at that point, having started being routinely active (at all!) in my later 40s after cancer treatment. I had age-group medaled in a couple of in-person regional indoor races as an open weight, where the strong/tall women compete (but mostly in other regions). Because it was the the first year of this particular world/virtual race, some of the really strong lightweight women my age didn't enter, luckily for me. :D

I was stunned (and thrilled): I placed 3rd. In the world. (In my age/weight class, mind.) I haven't rowed it again, but my best times would be middle-of-the-pack now, since the very strong rowers now compete in the event.

ypxsk9t2cwwq.jpg[/quote]

I've rowed on-water in multi-person boats in Masters Nationals and Head of the Charles, some of the biggest US events. That was thrilling, too . . . but the results were non-fabulous. :D

I'm only a couple of years out from aging into 70-79, though, and still a lightweight . . . ;)
  • nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 9,070 Member
    Options
    As a teenager, I earned my letterman's jacket as both a sprinter for track and running cross country. My best achievement from that time would've been running a sub-5 minute mile. (This was a split time from running the 5km cross country race...imagine how low I could've gotten had I trained specifically for the mile race, where I didn't have to reserve energy to keep going.)

In my 30's I turned to powerlifting. My bodyweight while lifting has never topped 200#, so I don't have the individual numbers from some posters above. But I felt pretty good that I topped out a 3-lift total of 1195# with a BW of 195 (6.1x BW).
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!