I have several NSVs...

Options
Some non-scale victories are: my A1C went from 12.3 to 7.1, I've lost 8 clothing sizes. My face doesn't look like a bowling ball, My double chin is almost gone, I can breathe when I walk up the stairs, I am still alive, and I feel better than ever in a really long time. The best one, I walked 20 minutes today! Woo hoo!

I am coming back from heart and kidney failure. I feel very fortunate to type this and very blessed I could experience a peak moment today. I took some pictures and the weather was beautiful. It was a perfect fall day.

Replies

• witzigs
    witzigs Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Wow, that is just a massive amount of huge life improvements. I am so proud of you and really glad you're reaping the rewards of your hard work.
  • jenbroussard71
    jenbroussard71 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Those are some amazing NSVs! Congratulations!
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,166 Member
    Options
    Congratulations: Those are wonderful accomplishments, and they happened because you took the reins and changed your life. Good show!
  • AnnPT77
    Options
    If you're not exercising now, going from zero to 5 days might be overly aggressive, unless the duration is short, intensity mild, and type of exercise varied from one day to the next.

Ramping up exercise gradually is always a good idea, and that's especially true for recovery/rehab times, or with health conditions in the picture.
  • blakbyrd64
    blakbyrd64 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    WOO HOO!!! GO GETTEM!!!
  • AnnPT77
    Options
    I agree, I tend to be an all or nothing person. My exercise is for 20 minutes a day. I miss walking 5 miles at a time. I believe it is doable, I have to pace myself, yet I want to get to my goal in July 24. I do listen to my body.

The ICD surgery will take 4-6 weeks of recovery time. That depends on the person. Then, I will finish cardiac rehab.

Thank you for the care and concern. Hugs.

It sounds like you have a good, sensible plan; you can pay attention to how you feel, and adjust as needed. IMO, a manageable degree of challenge is the sweet spot.

I'm cheering for you!
  • beejmtn
    beejmtn Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Your my new hero! I look forward to the day my A1C's are that number!
  • mtnbiker888
    mtnbiker888 Posts: 6 Member
    edited November 2023
    Options
    Thank you all. That is very nice, and kind--I appreciate it.

So, now my goal is to start exercising 5 times a week and use self-care and documenting daily.
    I have another AICD surgery coming up, recovery, going to an Eating Disorders clinic, to solve my Binge Eating Disorder, working with an exercise physiologist to start gaining strength through working out with bands initially...I have a lot of muscle atrophy to rebuild from being ill from the past 9 months.

Big congratulations on your successes so far! How outstanding!

I have had to come back from multiple knee surgeries and muscle wasting, it was tough! I struggled for 2 years before getting some professional advice and training 5 months ago. What really helped me turn the corner was making sure I was maximizing my daily protein intake at 1gram per lb of body weight and doing resistance training 3x week. I went as heavy as I could for 3 x 12-14 reps. I am happy to say I can fully squat, with weight, and my quad muscles are now measuring the same size. Still more work to be done but well on my way. You will get there too!!! Best of luck with your surgery and recovery :)
  • Melwillbehealthy
    Melwillbehealthy Posts: 882 Member
    Options
    Congratulations. That’s inspiring and wonderful news.
  • kiteflyer105
    kiteflyer105 Posts: 128 Member
    edited December 2023
    Options
    Thank you to all that have replied. I have had some more NSV's. I found out I have sleep apnea and my oxygen level was at 74% (This should be at 99%!); no wonder I am so tired a lot of the time. It is not just my medication! I am getting a CPAP machine and get another sleep study done. It will take 3-4 months to feel better.
    I have gone from (290 lbs. with Heart Failure) 32 jeans to (203 lbs.) 22 jeans. 60 lbs. was from water weight. This is super embarrassing. I am petite. I have lost 87 lbs. for the year! I'll take that! [b]My goal is size 8-10 size jeans for 2024! [/b] I can do it with enough sacrifice and hard work. No more hoping and wishing for me. I will make it happen. Consistency and dedication are the only things that will get me there. I made it to the 2 mile mark this year. This is from breathing so hard, due to my heart failure. I fell up the stairs with medication I was taking, I felt dizzy and light headed. I felt like I was going to pass out. I did not get normal sleep for months. I take 6 diuretics for my heart a day.

I had severe health issues (chronic conditions) in 2023, and almost died. I had “imminent death” written in my medical records. Do not let this be you! If I can lose weight and not make excuses, you can too! You are the only one that holds yourself back. This is coming from someone who has been binge eating for 38 years! Rehab is next year for me. I know I’ll never keep the weight off without it until I stop running and face all of my issues that held me back. I know I am my own problem. So, I can fix myself. I wish I had a workout partner at the gym. That is for a later time though.

Next year, I have more challenges to overcome. For instance: coming through a successful second ICD surgery, finishing cardiac rehab, finishing PT, getting to 3 miles, walking less than a 20 minutes mile by myself, etc.

I am determined, I want to live longer and have a higher quality of life. I finally believe I am truly worth it, and deserve nothing less from myself. The more I work out the more tenacious, disciplined, stronger, and more mental toughness I build. I refuse to play "volunteer victim' and "poor me'. That is for a wimp who gave up on herself. I want to change old, destructive habits. I can't change everything at once. Sometimes it is one minute at a time. I used to love going out to eat. Now, I’d rather eat at home. I know my nutritional values better. But I do plan in going out now. I eat salads most days. I’d rather be smaller. I need to do that a lot more.

In my transformation, for me, I am using: CBT Cognitive Behavior Therapy with my Therapist, Emotional Freedom Technique (EFT, Tapping with Brad Yates on You Tube; it is free), meditation, Yoga Nidra (The Mindfulness Movement on You Tube; This is free.), weight loss meditation (Honest Guys on You Tube; This is free.) and Navy Box breathing (check it out on YouTube; this is free!). I use a weight loss notebook, I write down weight, what I eat daily, my blood sugar, blood pressure, insulin amount given, medication taken, H20 drank, and exercise. I measure my portions and plan my “Treat Meal or Treat dessert’ sparingly.

A special message to the extremely obese person: If you are living a life of Groundhog Day (doing the same thing daily and seeing no change, again and again), aren't you truly sick of it? What are your peak moments in your life today and for this year? Did you have any or are you being a wimp? You were made to live at a higher level of life. You are meant to have friends and have fun in life. If you are truly lonely and depressed, get on the right medication prescribed by a psychiatrist and work through it with a qualified therapist. Please learn about nutrition and portion control. Buy a scale and start measuring everything. Work within your calorie allowance. You can look up your BMI and calorie allowance on the internet. This is what adulting is about…Don’t confuse your self-worth with the number on the scale. That is damaging to your self-esteem. Focus on what you give to the world. What skills and talents do possess? Build new skills.

Above all, quit crying if you want a normal life and get to work. Take ownership and responsibility for your health. Be accountable to yourself. Crying never solved anything for me. Yes, there is "pretty privilege" and "thin privilege" in our society". Get over yourself, go get at it and work for it. You are the only one that is punishing themselves. You can experience positivity and joy. And for the first time in your life, be proud of yourself, despite what all the naysayers say about you. Prove them wrong. You owe that to yourself. You don't know your true capabilities, until you can safely work as hard as you can. Get your doctor's approval. Have them run blood tests on you. Get a true picture of your current health status; stop kidding yourself. Obesity can and will kill you if you let it.

Be painfully honest with yourself. Stop lying to yourself. Take a front, side, and back picture of yourself. Put it on the fridge, so you can make the right choice. You absolutely deserve better. You are not doomed, unless you want to be. Get out of your stuck rut and move. Please weigh your food and count your portions. You don't have an excuse not to lose weight, even if you are bed bound. Unless you have a medical condition or medicine that prevents you from doing so…
    There are certain people who cannot. Please figure out a program that works for you. Everyone who is morbidly obese is choosing to be. You are not working hard enough, or you would naturally lose weight. Find your favorite foods and make them healthier. Experiment with everything and succeed. We are all responsible for our experiences in life. I will root you on. Friend me and I can and will support you. But you have to put in the effort and work daily. God Bless! Be the best you and live at a higher level. Be the hero in your own life. The only person that is going to save you is YOU. =)

"If Vanessa Cross from "1000 lbs. Friends" can lose the weight, so can you."

Stop being helpless and choose to save yourself. Positive vibes!

<3 Woo Hoo! I lost 10 clothing sizes!

• rtlenton
    rtlenton Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Outstanding; good on ya'! :)
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!