Got a suggestion on how to improve MyFitnessPal? Share it in this category or vote to tell us what you think of other people’s suggestions. Please be sure to review the Feature Suggestion submissions guidelines.

Percentage of exercise calories to eat back

Options
I like MFP's approach of using NEAT rather than TDEE to calculate caloric intake target, and it's great that there is a toggle to add back exercise calories or not (this might be a premium feature, I'm not sure).

However, many users find that the calories burned from exercise are overinflated - some users will adjust the calories burned so their diary shows a goal that they're comfortable aiming for, others will leave calories uneaten in their diary. But it would be great if users could actually enter a percentage that they want added to their diary instead!

You often see the veteran users in the forums recommend newbies start by eating back, say, 50% of their exercise calories. And this is great advice for a starting point to figure out what level is appropriate for the individual. But there's no mechanism to do this and not everyone is tech-savvy or math-savvy enough to figure it out.

So, please consider adding this as a feature, it would certainly be appreciated by a wide cross-section of the MFP community!!
2 votes

Active · Last Updated

Replies

• Jean
    Jean Posts: 731 MFP Staff
    Options
    The option to turn off exercise calories is available to Premium users, but thank you so much for your recommendation on allowing users to enter a certain percentage of exercise calories added back! I will pass this along to our internal team to consider.