Ideas for a solo holiday needed.

Options
bjdw_1977
bjdw_1977 Posts: 442 Member
What are some ideas for a solo male needing holiday. Recently widowed and not looking for anything, just need to get away. Rarotonga sounds good right now but will it actually be any good by myself?

Replies

• snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    You should give a little more information. What do you enjoy doing?---walking, museums, going to the beach, hiking in the mountains,........etc. There are people that want a deserted spot and others want a big city. Any special interests or hobbies? The world is a big place with many wonderful things. You need to narrow it down a bit.
  • bjdw_1977
    Options
    You should give a little more information. What do you enjoy doing?---walking, museums, going to the beach, hiking in the mountains,........etc. There are people that want a deserted spot and others want a big city. Any special interests or hobbies? The world is a big place with many wonderful things. You need to narrow it down a bit.

Walking, definitely walking. I do a lot of long walks. I also like kayaking, fishing, reading and drinking too much.
  • bjdw_1977
    Options
    Is it weird to go to these beach resorts by yourself? Everyone else there will be with someone else.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    bjdw_1977 wrote: »
    Is it weird to go to these beach resorts by yourself? Everyone else there will be with someone else.

Not necessarily. Funny story--long ago I decided to go on a New Years vacation to Mexico by myself to just lay on the beach and read, after a disastrous vacation with a girlfriend the year before. I packed a lot of books and upon arrival made reservations for day trips to see Mexican ruins and other things. The first day on the beach I met my husband. Didn't read any of those books. We're still married.

I know you said you're not interested in meeting anyone, however, there are interesting people that take trips alone. At least try it. It might be very nice.
  • Twinkletoes2023
    Twinkletoes2023 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Cruising… lots of people cruise alone but your always with lots of people too
  • TxDesertFox
    TxDesertFox Posts: 53 Member
    edited October 2023
    Options
    It's never weird to do cruises or resorts by yourself. I prefer to travel alone. I've never done the cruises/resorts personally because I avoid crowded places in general. When I vacation I go off-grid to get as far away from people as I can possibly get. LOL If you enjoy the outdoors you can always try a camping trip or something that's fairly close to home so if it's not to your liking you can always bail and try something else.

There are groups for women who just wanna meet other like-minded women to do activities with, so I'm sure there's probably one out there for men.

And I'm sorry for your loss.