Artificial sweeteners and hunger spikes

Options
2»

Replies

• paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,096 Member
    edited October 2023
    Options
    One of my greatest simple pleasures in life is my daily coffee and I never thought I could drink coffee without at least 1 packet of sweetener or a splash of sugar-free syrups w/artificial sweeteners. But, I have gotten used to it now by putting in 2 tbsp heavy cream, or whipping in some butter or coconut oil or eggs.

If you are going to put those things into your coffee instead of artificial sweeteners you might as well just use sugar.

He explained why and why do you care.

gosh that seems rude. :o

I dont particularly care, am simply posting in discussion on a forum.

Presumably most people use artificial sweeteners instead of sugar because they have less calories and /or don't cause high blood sugars rises for diabetics.

Using the things suggested, such as 2 tbsp of heavy cream or whipped butter, would defeat either purpose.

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 28,004 Member
    Options
    One of my greatest simple pleasures in life is my daily coffee and I never thought I could drink coffee without at least 1 packet of sweetener or a splash of sugar-free syrups w/artificial sweeteners. But, I have gotten used to it now by putting in 2 tbsp heavy cream, or whipping in some butter or coconut oil or eggs.

If you are going to put those things into your coffee instead of artificial sweeteners you might as well just use sugar.

Presumably most people use artificial sweeteners instead of sugar because they have less calories and /or don't cause high blood sugars rises for diabetics.

Using the things suggested, such as 2 tbsp of heavy cream or whipped butter, would defeat either purpose.

While you're right from a pure calories perspective, as she is low carb, the heavy cream is the logical choice for her.

I tried it for a while, didn't like it from both a taste and satiety perspective, went back to sugar, but there are quite a few people who enjoy this.

• lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,028 Member
    Options
    I drink diet soda frequently, and I have never experienced this, but given your experience, giving up diet soda seems like a good choice.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,246 Member
    Options

Unless that person is eating Keto, in which case they fit perfectly.