10 Year Anniversary of 100 Pounds Lost

Options
gakmt
gakmt Posts: 8 Member
Just posting to let everyone who looks here for inspiration know that it is possible to lose the weight and keep it off.

Today is the 10 year anniversary of my losing the oft coveted 100 pounds. I started working towards it in February of 2013, fond and joined MFP in March of 2013 and on October 24th I officially hit 100 pounds lost. By February of 2014 I had lost an additional 40 pounds and through a lot of hard work, conscious eating, lots of running, swimming, and probably a little luck I have managed to keep it off for the past 10 years.

Over the years I have stumbled across people who knew I had lost a lot of weight and they almost always greet me with, “Wow, you are still skinny!” The conversation then usually goes to how I managed to keep it off. I always explain, I joined MFP, I run 8-11 miles every morning, I swim 3-5 miles a week in the evenings, I don’t eat much fast food, I weigh myself every morning, and I record everything between MFP and my own excel spreadsheet. (which because I really like data I can look back to any day in the last 10 years, tell you how far I ran, how fast I ran each mile, if i swam, how far I swam, what I ate, and how much I weighed. As of today I have 2888 consecutive days of logging in MFP.)

So I can assure you it is possible and you’ve got this.

Replies

• UtahDon
    UtahDon Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Congratulations, you have figured out what I believe to be the hardest part of this, which is maintenance! 2888 consecutive days of logging is an incredible achievement and reinforces this as a lifestyle and not a temporary item to endure. Well done!
  • Nessava73
    Nessava73 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Congratulations. I love this! I also like data and spreadsheets and have been documenting workouts, weight, and weekly ratios of CICO averages over this last year. I was wondering how sustainable it would be long term, so this is very inspirational.
  • escribir8630
    escribir8630 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! Thank you, also, for sharing your story to inspire others.
  • tsmoo107
    tsmoo107 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Wow, the epitome of consistency! Congratulations!!!
  • brenn35
    brenn35 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    very inspirational, I weigh every morning also, some people dont think that is healthy but whatever works , I have kept 40 lbs off for 10 years. I still want to eat a lot and the wrong kinds of foods but I dont because I dont want the consequences.
  • jaded989
    jaded989 Posts: 163 Member
    edited October 2023
    Options
    I have lost & regained several times in my lifetime, mainting the loss for several years at a time. For me, weighing daily is what keeps me keeps me maintaining. All the regains started when I stopped weighing daily (usually due to a broken scale I didn't bother to replace). It keeps me accountable, which apparently I need.
  • gakmt
    gakmt Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Yes several people have told me that weighing every day is not the right way to do this. However, the ability to see today and compare it with last week is huge. There have been people all along who insisted that I was doing everything wrong. That is perhaps true, I have changed and tweaked, adjusted both diet and exercise the whole time. The one thing that stays constant is doing it and seeing it in writing every day. That keeps me honest and on track.
  • nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 9,070 Member
    Options
    Those "people" insisting you were wrong...I wager those same people have not lost any weight, or gained it back, doing things "their way." Ultimately, the "right" way is the way which works...and sure looks like your way worked, which makes it right for you! Kudos!
  • Sariee4
    Sariee4 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Thank you for posting this. It's very inspiring!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!