Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Hi guys,

I am consistently eating 300grams of carbs per day and i am 202 lbs will i be able to lose weight consistently or should i reduce my carbs intake!!!!

Replies

• collinsje1
    collinsje1 Posts: 54 Member
    Strictly from a weight loss standpoint carb, protein, fat macro make up doesn't matter. Overall calorie consumption is what matters. IF you are in a calorie deficit you will lose weight. Macros matter more so sanity, energy levels, feeling full longer. OR if your trying to gain muscle mass...etc.

If you gave us more information, height, weight, goals, M/F etc you would get more/better advice.
  • rankith341
    rankith341 Posts: 2 Member
    My height is 5 feet 10 inches. My goal weight is 171 lbs, and I am a 21-year-old male.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,289 Member
    Don't worry about 300g carbs. It's fine.

The current buzz is low carb, but for weight loss it's about calories total.

Now, if at some point you decide to cut your carbs, you may experience a temporary loss on the scale, but it's not fat, it's water.

Just eat how you like to eat and get some vegetables. (Says me, your grandma who knows you prolly don't eat a lot of vegetables being a 21 YO male. :wink: )
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 33,629 Member
    Yeah, it's the calories.

I'm 5 inches shorter than you, way older, 100% more female. I eat 225g+ of carbs daily to maintain post-loss. It was a bit lower, but not low low while losing weight - close to the MFP 50% of calories default goal, even though I didn't particularly care where my carb level ended up.

Calories are the direct determinant of fat gain/loss. Macronutrients (protein, fats, carbs) are primarily about nutrition for health, energy level, body composition, etc.

Protein and fats are "essential nutrients" in the sense that out bodies can't manufacture what we need out of other nutrients, so we need to eat a certain minimum of those for best health.

Carbs aren't essential in that sense. Some people find that eating more carbs spikes their appetite. Those people will benefit from eating fewer carbs. Other people find that eating too few carbs tanks their energy level. Those people will benefit from eating more carbs. You'll figure out where you fall on that dimension by paying attention to how you feel.

I make sure I get my protein and fats minimums (at self-defined targets, based on reading about nutrition and watching how I feel). I don't care how many carbs I eat, as long as my calorie intake comes out where I need it to be for my weight goals. That's worked fine for me through a year of loss, and 7+ years since maintaining a healthy weight.
  • loulee997
    loulee997 Posts: 273 Member
    edited October 2023
    rankith341 wrote: »
    I am consistently eating 300grams of carbs per day and i am 202 lbs will i be able to lose weight consistently or should i reduce my carbs intake!!!!

Eat in your range. If you are losing weight, don't change anything. If your weight loss stops for months on end, then reevaluate carbs.

I wouldn't try to fix it if it isn't broken.

T