50 and over

Options
Hi , I’m new and was wondering if should up my calorie intake for building muscle and losing fat, I eat 1200 calories a day , I’m scared to eat more for fear of gaining the wrong kind of weight. I’m 5’7 and 135 , my hormones have fallen and I would like to build muscle but not fat . TIA

Replies

• springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,913 Member
    edited October 2023
    Options
    If you’re sticking with a flat 1200, you’re going to have a difficult time building muscle.

You need to nourish and fuel your body in order to grow muscle. Higher amounts of protein can be very beneficial.

I’m 5’7” (F) and at no point, including when I did very little exercise, was I ever below 1470. I currently average about 26-2700/day, but I’m highly active following substantial weight loss, which I began at 56.

1200 wouldn’t even begin to fuel me, even while I was still at sedentary level.

Do you have access to a dietician who could advise you? (Not a nutritionist- in the US, anyone can call themselves a nutritionist, including your friend/neighbor/local gym rep selling via a multi level marketing scheme.)

I found my dietician’s advice very helpful. I had access to discount sessions via my gym, and also free phone visits via my health insurance.

I don’t know how much you have to lose, but ignore everyone who says you can’t do so in your 50’s. That was utter BS. I think that was really an excuse they used to rationalize their own lack of commitment rather than actual truth.
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,913 Member
    edited October 2023
    Options
    PS if you’re sincere about wanting to build muscle? You need to let go of your fear of gain. I get it. It’s hard.

I got as low as 127 and was freaking scary. I was also lifting regularly during that period but the weight - and muscle- were falling off of me. I made the reasoned and considered, but temporarily painful- decision to gain (ultimately about 15 or so) and am glad I did. I gained weight but didn’t gain size. The lifting offset that. I’m still comfortably wearing every single thing I wore at 127, except one or two shirts that the short elastic sleeves were cutting into my hard earned muscle, lol. I gladly jettisoned those.
  • cheryl_loses
    cheryl_loses Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I second Springerlings comments. I am 54 and did a dexascan and RMR a couple months ago. I actually slowed my metabolism and lost a tiny bit of muscle while working out and lifting regularly. I eat 2000 cals a day and more when I'm having a hungry day. You gotta eat to build muscle! If you have a couple hundred do some tests to see what your requirements are and talk to a dietitian. I'm learning from my mistakes. Good Luck to you on your journey