My own meals

Options
karlakultgen
karlakultgen Posts: 1 Member
I was told I could make my own meals on here and it would show me macros??

Is that possible and if so how would I do that?

Replies

• Corina1143
    Corina1143 Posts: 2,909 Member
    Options
    Yes! If you mean already cooked things, like McDonald's hamburger, caramel latte and apple pie, use "my meals". If you mean like homemade soup, use the recipe builder. If you mean homemade soup, homemade cornbread, and homemade apple pie, use the recipe builder for all 3, then my meals for your portion of each.
  • FairryDust
    FairryDust Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I've been trying use the recipe builder with homemade dishes, but it's being very difficult. It won't let me see the nutritional facts for the individual ingredients or I have to input quantity just to see the basic facts (calories, carbs, fat) without some of the others (fiber, sugar, etc.) for each database option. It's been years since I consistently used MFP, but I've been active the last few weeks. In that time of tracking my food log, I've found that many of the database foods are inaccurate and/or incomplete. Suffice it to say, recipe building has been an tedious and time consuming experience. Is there something I'm missing or not doing? I'd like to get several of my fall go-to dishes in and the holiday ones prepped and assessed before I'm debating between the chocolate or pumpkin pies. lol!
  • loulee997
    loulee997 Posts: 273 Member
    edited November 2023
    Options
    FairryDust wrote: »
    I've been trying use the recipe builder with homemade dishes, but it's being very difficult. It won't let me see the nutritional facts for the individual ingredients or I have to input quantity just to see the basic facts (calories, carbs, fat) without some of the others (fiber, sugar, etc.) for each database option. It's been years since I consistently used MFP, but I've been active the last few weeks. In that time of tracking my food log, I've found that many of the database foods are inaccurate and/or incomplete. Suffice it to say, recipe building has been an tedious and time consuming experience. Is there something I'm missing or not doing? I'd like to get several of my fall go-to dishes in and the holiday ones prepped and assessed before I'm debating between the chocolate or pumpkin pies. lol!

I do not like the FP recipe builder. I end up using a 2nd party free recipe builder to get the macros, then I add the final info into FP as a meal or food.

Extra step but less aggravation. Try the Very Well Fit REcipe builder. I find it easier to use---and i can just input the final info into FP. VWellFit you have to edit the items to get the right amounts so 1 can of pinto beans may be 1.2 cups. But once it is in and you choose the serving size, it will give you fat, protein calories, sugar, salt, fiber, and some vitamins

May not work for you. It's what I do to go around the FP builder.

• Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,111 Member
    Options
    I don't like the recipe builder either: I use the Meals functionality.
    - I put all of my ingredients in a meal (I usually put it in a future meal - it will get deleted afterwards)
    - then weigh the finished dish
    - save the meal (I include the finished weight in the title)
    - delete the ingredients for the base recipe in my diary
    - log the appropriate portion/serving in the appropriate meal when I eat from it