MEN AGES 50+ FOR NOVEMBER 2023

Options
chris_in_cal
chris_in_cal Posts: 2,184 Member
edited November 2023 in Motivation and Support
Good luck staying jolly, fit, and healthy heading into the holiday season
hcxl1h5nhsz6.png
  • Changing of the clocks is another one of those times that can signal a new beginning to goals and resolutions and plans. It is another time to see a clean slate.
  • Doing new things with the support of an encouraging community has worked for me before and I expect it will work for me again with this new challenge.
  • Reading a thread and joining the conversation every day has added to my life. I hope it will help you.
  • Please sign your post with a name or nickname and a location, specific or general, so our conversation can be more personal.
  • Be sure to bookmark the thread so you can find it again.

Yes, this is a straight ripoff of the wildly successful other gender thread. Steal from the best, right! Let's keep connected to face the coming dark and cold time of year? Don't stop.
p1imad1kzel3.jpg

Replies

• chris_in_cal
    Options
    @rileysowner Give it another go?
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,122 Member
    Options
    Sure. Maybe it will get some traction this time.
  • chris_in_cal
    Options
    My October kind of blew....I'm happy to see this new month and want to move back into my running routine.

I ran regularly from March until the beginning of October. I caught a cold, recovered, sort of gave up, and now I am facing a new month....back at it.
  • rileysowner
    Options
    I have never been much of a runner. I injured my left knee back in high school, and running quickly becomes uncomfortable. Cycling is my cardio activity of choice, but now that snow has come here, I find motivation lacking to cycle indoors.
  • chris_in_cal
    Options
    but now that snow has come here, I find motivation lacking to cycle indoors.
    I follow the Sports Tech guy, D C Rainmaker. He's great. He writes a lot about indoor cycling technology, it is like the space race of the sixties and seventies ( You men below 50 wouldn't understand;)

Like you, it holds no appeal to me.

Indoor cycling hill lifts, fans, video screens, bikes, flywheels, rollers, virtual races, virtual travel destinations.... a lot.

Ultimately I am inside a room pedaling an outdoor bicycle.
  • CJDaniel7
    CJDaniel7 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Hi, I am in. Thank you!
    I am ready to set my New Years Goal, as opposed to Resolution.
    I am CJ, live at the beach in SoCal. Not active enough, but I move.
    I am 62. I am 6'2" 240 Weight distributed over body.
    Not feeling 100%, tired, anxiety a bit although I love my job. Soreness in hips and occasional bouts with Sciatica and Gout. Crossed over from Pre-Diabetes to Diabetes. Adult ADHD
    I fluctuate in my weight over the years. I was never heavy until my 30's.
    My high weight is 265.
    Recently I haven't been doing anything else but eating better (Most of the time)
    Current on Nov 1:
    Nov 1 - 240

Goal: Dec 2023 = 210. I would be over the top if I were 199.9. At this point that is my goal weight, I don't want to be skinny, I prefer in-shape, bulky.
    Goal: Get to the gym 12 times in month of November.
    Goal: Eat right, not following anyone's plan, but use "Genius Foods" (Max Lugavere) as a guideline.
    Goal: Reduce medications by 50% by Dec 31, 2023.
    Cheers!
    -cj-
  • chris_in_cal
    Options
    CJDaniel7 wrote: »
    I would be over the top if I were 199.9.
    CJ you are preaching here! Yes 199.99 is much better for me than where I am today. It may not be my biggest goal, nor is it my short term goal. It is the one that will feel the best. Let' do it.

On Saturday I went to my first yoga class since covid. I really felt it for the next 48 hours. That is a very good sign I should to it more than once every three years. My hips, back, and all joints will thank me if I pay attention and carefully and consistently use them.

This whole year my weight has been locked at this really high level. For 2023 I've been back here on MFP, that might be why I haven't gained any more. But, I'm not doing the work to start losing either. I like your idea of a push to accomplish something by the end of the year. I thought I could drop 20 lbs., let me back up and say I'm going to drop 10 lbs, by the end of the year. 245 lbs(today) -> 235 lbs. (Jan 1)
  • chris_in_cal
    Options
    Sure. Maybe it will get some traction this time.

What do you know! I took six weeks, but it starting.
  • rileysowner
    Options
    Hi, I am in. Thank you!
    I am ready to set my New Years Goal, as opposed to Resolution.
    I am CJ, live at the beach in SoCal. Not active enough, but I move.
    I am 62. I am 6'2" 240 Weight distributed over body.
    Not feeling 100%, tired, anxiety a bit although I love my job. Soreness in hips and occasional bouts with Sciatica and Gout. Crossed over from Pre-Diabetes to Diabetes. Adult ADHD
    I fluctuate in my weight over the years. I was never heavy until my 30's.
    My high weight is 265.
    Recently I haven't been doing anything else but eating better (Most of the time)
    Current on Nov 1:
    Nov 1 - 240

Goal: Dec 2023 = 210. I would be over the top if I were 199.9. At this point that is my goal weight, I don't want to be skinny, I prefer in-shape, bulky.
    Goal: Get to the gym 12 times in month of November.
    Goal: Eat right, not following anyone's plan, but use "Genius Foods" (Max Lugavere) as a guideline.
    Goal: Reduce medications by 50% by Dec 31, 2023.
    Cheers!
    -cj-

Good goals. I had numbers just going into pre-diabetes back in April and went Keto. My blood sugar numbers went to normal in a matter of days. If I can find the time I will get my HbA1C done in the next couple of weeks to see where it is now. The app I use to record my glucose monitor readings estimates my HbA1C at 5.1, so I am curious how accurate their estimation actually is.
  • rileysowner
    Options
    My sort of goal for November is get below 180 since my weight loss has slowed as I get to a point where I have far less to lose. I also want to get strength training in now that my home gym area is almost cleared out of the stuff I moved into it while doing renovations.
  • CJDaniel7
    CJDaniel7 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I would be over the top if I were 199.9.
    CJ you are preaching here! Yes 199.99 is much better for me than where I am today. It may not be my biggest goal, nor is it my short term goal. It is the one that will feel the best. Let' do it.

On Saturday I went to my first yoga class since covid. I really felt it for the next 48 hours. That is a very good sign I should to it more than once every three years. My hips, back, and all joints will thank me if I pay attention and carefully and consistently use them.

This whole year my weight has been locked at this really high level. For 2023 I've been back here on MFP, that might be why I haven't gained any more. But, I'm not doing the work to start losing either. I like your idea of a push to accomplish something by the end of the year. I thought I could drop 20 lbs., let me back up and say I'm going to drop 10 lbs, by the end of the year. 245 lbs(today) -> 235 lbs. (Jan 1)

Great! Lets Do it!
  • rileysowner
    Options
    With November almost over, I will give an update. My goals were get below 180 pound, I am not there yet. Close at 183, but not there. Since my recent weight losses have been sudden and significant, I could still make my goal, especially since I am guessing I am retaining some water since I have started regularly lifting weights again and taking creatine which both will result in some water retention. Overall, I am quite happy with the progress this month because even though there has not been a lot of weight loss I am enjoying exercising and my belt has to be tightened another notch so I am losing fat.
  • chris_in_cal
    Options
    Awesome. I've been here, but reevaluating. I didn't go on an out of control rampage, but I've been shifting out of stuff that's not been working, and trying out some other things.

In November I found a challenging local yoga class and have attended every Saturday this month. Feels like a win.