Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Ketosis for health

Options
jjanveau
jjanveau Posts: 1 Member
Hi all, I'm starting Keto today to hopefully heal my stomach issues. I have had IBS for over 20 years with GERD and the medication I take is supposedly really bad for my health. I've also started probiotics. I have tried Keto a few times in the past and found it difficult to stay under 30 grams to get into ketosis also I really don't like the Keto flu. This time I'm also taking some electrolytes which are suppose to help.

The reason for my post is to see if others are doing it for gut health and any tips you can give me to stay in ketosis for at least 6weeks.

๐Ÿ˜Š

Replies

• neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,918 Member
    edited November 2023
    Options
    I've been basically keto for over a dozen years and it's basically settled all the stomach issues I had most of my life. I've had none since. Makes sense considering a keto diet is a pretty aggressive fodmap diet and there's a lot of studies that support it as well, yeah it works for many people. The Harvard carnivore study I think around 2019 or 20 showed a 100% improvement in IBS and other gastrointestinal issues like bowel movements, which was impressive and you can't get much more fodmap restrictive than that, I think grains were the big kahuna causing the most trouble. I would suggest cutting out dairy for a while, these also cause digestive stress with some proteins and some sugars like lactose.

As far as staying in ketosis I suggest for your particular situation that it's probably not the ketones that are the active mechanism but the carb reduction and the studies show similar results with a low carb diet as well, it's just the keto diet is the most carbohydrate restricted diet, so don't beat yourself up. Give it 60 days and see. imo.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,116 Member
    Options
    Keto flu is largely a result of the amount of electrolytes you excrete when you start very low carb eating. That reduces your stored glycogen which requires water to be stored in your body. With the water being removed because it is not needed to store glycogen various electrolytes will be carried along. Finding a keto appropriate electrolyte supplement can help with that.
  • Desi4tennis
    Desi4tennis Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Keto has also improved my stomach issues from childhood. If I eat grains I immediately notice the difference of what Iโ€™m supposed to eat and not. I really miss cornbread though. lol ๐Ÿ˜‚ but my stomach loves flaxseed bread.
  • sollyn23l2
    sollyn23l2 Posts: 1,612 Member
    Options
    Keto has also improved my stomach issues from childhood. If I eat grains I immediately notice the difference of what Iโ€™m supposed to eat and not. I really miss cornbread though. lol ๐Ÿ˜‚ but my stomach loves flaxseed bread.

Flaxseed bread makes me sad though.๐Ÿ˜†. I get it though. I have celiac, so had to cut out all wheat barley, and rye or I get very, very sick. It changed my life for the better, though I've never gone keto.
  • loulee997
    loulee997 Posts: 273 Member
    Options

Keto Cornbread recipe--although I find this version too sweet for me. But I like a dry cornbread, not sweet cornbread. I cut the sugar.

KETO CORNBREAD

If you want the sweeter version but don't want a sugar substitute--try monk syrup.
  • loulee997
    loulee997 Posts: 273 Member
    Options

Flaxseed bread makes me sad though.๐Ÿ˜†. I get it though. I have celiac, so had to cut out all wheat barley, and rye or I get very, very sick. It changed my life for the better, though I've never gone keto.

I posted a Keto cornbread recipe made with almond flour and sweet corn extract.

Make homemade keto bread recipe

Premade Keto Bread

• Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,454 Member
    Options
    Hi all, I'm starting Keto today to hopefully heal my stomach issues. I have had IBS for over 20 years with GERD and the medication I take is supposedly really bad for my health. I've also started probiotics. I have tried Keto a few times in the past and found it difficult to stay under 30 grams to get into ketosis also I really don't like the Keto flu. This time I'm also taking some electrolytes which are suppose to help.

The reason for my post is to see if others are doing it for gut health and any tips you can give me to stay in ketosis for at least 6weeks.

๐Ÿ˜Š

What does you medical team think about a Keto diet given health issues you describe?