I can’t get rid of my belly

Options
So I used to weigh 265 pounds now it’s been almost two years and I weigh 180. I have some muscle mass that I can see in my legs and arms but I can’t get rid of my stomach no matter what I do. I’m 5’ 11” and 30 years old. I do about 2 miles a day on the treadmill and lift weights on and off. I have lowered my calories down to 2,300 a day. It looks like my whole body is toning up just not my stomach. Any recommendations?

Replies

• kiteflyer105
    kiteflyer105 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Hi. Usually the belly fat is the last to go. Have you tried HITT cardio? Or, on the treadmill, play with the incline and speed. There are routines you can find online for cardio. You may want to switch up your cardio to include the bike, rowing machine, and the elliptical. Eating a clean diet is critical for fat loss. Good luck!
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    Hi. Usually the belly fat is the last to go. Have you tried HITT cardio? Or, on the treadmill, play with the incline and speed. There are routines you can find online for cardio. You may want to switch up your cardio to include the bike, rowing machine, and the elliptical. Eating a clean diet is critical for fat loss. Good luck!

Actually it's not necessary to eat "clean" (whatever that means) for fat loss. OP--just stay in a deficit, and I'd suggest lifting if you want to. Good luck.
  • snowflake954
    Options
    Sorry OP just reread and saw you are doing some lifting. Maybe up that plus core work.

@ninerbuff will be able to give you some good ideas and there are many others on here that can advise. Just keep going.

If you're done losing, you may want to look into recomp--eating at maintenance and lifting to build muscle. It takes a while, but may be right for you.
  • wm3796
    wm3796 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I agree that calorie deficit is the main idea for weight loss. However, if you want to keep chronic diseases such as high blood pressure, diabetes, heart disease, many cancers, etc, etc at reduced risk in your life, it’s more than just calories, clean no processed foods matter in the long run. These young people trying to lose weight need to realize that for their future.
    As far as belly fat, yes you still need to keep a calorie deficit and may consider adjusting some macros( not keto but just lowering processed carbs). Stick with it for long lasting health
  • evileyefirefly
    evileyefirefly Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Maybe up that plus core work.

Unfortunately you can't "target" weight loss areas, so adding more core work will strengthen the muscles more it won't really do anything to speed up the specific area loss.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,535 Member
    Options
    It could be just some extra skin that's impeding. How much can you pinch? 1 inch, 2 inches?

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 35+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• loulee997
    loulee997 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    The belly is the last to go. To be 100% honest, it may never completely go away. Although you can target tone areas--you can't target areas for weight loss.

Certain kinds of Cardio, HIIT, Crunches, Scissors, or Pilates-- can help tone that area as you lose weight. By tightening it, you can make it appear smaller.

So toning, continued weight loss.

Good luck.

• snowflake954
    Options
    Maybe up that plus core work.

Unfortunately you can't "target" weight loss areas, so adding more core work will strengthen the muscles more it won't really do anything to speed up the specific area loss.

Yes, I know, but core work will give better posture and sometimes that can help.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,126 Member
    Options
    I am 5'10" and started at about 264 and am at 184 now. I figure I will have to get down at least another 20 pounds to get rid of enough fat to say I have gotten rid of my belly.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,198 Member
    Options
    I agree with most of the above, but want to say a little more about posture.

There are several very common posture issues that will emphasize the appearance of any remaining abdominal fat.

Examples: Forward head/neck with rounded shoulders (the keyboard/phone slouch kind of thing), anterior pelvic tilt (top of pelvic bone forward of the bottom of the pelvic bone, something that may be triggered in some by a formerly-large belly that effectively caused a bit of swayback, and that posture's become habit), or a tendency to lock the knees when standing.

You can get some insight by looking at yourself from the side in a full-length mirror, and noticing whether your shoulders are over your hips, shoulders down and back, neck straight and chin not thrust forward, your pelvis positioned so top of pelvis is directly above bottom of pelvis.

Problems with those things can either push any central fat forward, or squish it downward between ribcage and pelvis, so that it looks more prominent. With proper posture, some of that fullness will sort of fall back into the body cavity, or be extended over more vertical distance so it looks flatter. Sort of. That's the best I can describe it.
  • nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,415 Member
    Options
    My husband is 6', 165lbs, rides an outdoor bike daily for fun and cardio, indoor bike to maintain cardio in the winter. He also gets his steps in, he's a 10k a day guy, but not from concerted effort. He does not and has never done weight training, but he's very trim, has strong legs from biking and some minor muscle definition in his arms. 31" waist. He has a little round belly for absolutely zero reason, lol. With his activity level and diet, you wouldn't expect it at all. He's also not a big drinker, more like an occasional beer or margarita kinda guy.