Apps for exercising at home

Options
I want to start doing some exercises at home and I want to use an app to help me do so. My level is intermediate.

I am not a beginner so I want an app to help me log the exercises with dumbbells and count calories burnt while doing them. I want also to have variety of exercises.

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I use Fitbod. It allows you to select gym or home equipment or calisthenics bodyweight only as well as selecting goals such as general fitness, strength, hypertrophy/physique, Olympic lifting, etc as well as your level (beginner, intermediate, advanced). I use it primarily for calisthenics work I do at home with my 13 year old and 11 year old and it's pretty good. It gives you your workout for the day for which you can also substitute movements that work the same muscle group if the algorithm picks one for you that you don't care to do. It also "learns you" so as you go along, the algorithm will make things progressively more difficult by adding weight or reps or sets or whatever. It also keeps things interesting in that it's not just the same movements every time and you end up doing a variety of movements that work the same muscle group in a different way from one workout to another. It also tracks muscle fatigue and rest which is accounted for by the algorithm when it sets up the next workout depending on your selected split. Yes, it also tracks calories for the duration of the workout as a whole...which are relatively negligible given the nature of resistance training.
  • Retroguy2000
    Retroguy2000 Posts: 1,521 Member
    Options
    I'm doubtful that attempting to count calories per exercise is going to be useful.

People typically just pick a reasonable estimate for the full session. Which probably isn't a huge number anyway, e.g. an hour of weights for me would burn at most 10% of my daily calorie intake.

Maybe the Renaissance Periodization app is good? It looks powerful. It's not free though. Personally, I just use a spreadsheet via Google Sheets for my tracking. It's simple and free.
  • Mrsrobinsoncl
    Mrsrobinsoncl Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I really enjoy Street Parking, its crossfit type workouts. They have daily WODs and there are a ton of extra programs you can add or do instead
  • FindingSamMon
    FindingSamMon Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    I really like Nike Training Club (NTC). They have a variety of exercises for all levels. They also allow you to choose your goal (mobility, strength, endurance) and available equipment (none, basic, full).