30KG flat dumbell bench press in 3m - Newbie

Options
I'm 90kg right now on 1800kcal diet ( started at 110kg with 2k kcal) , and have been in deficit since Feb 23 , and with gym it's been 3 months since I have started , I started flat dumbell bench press with 7.5kg in each hand and recently hit 20kg on each hand for 15 reps. But my coach says I should be easily able to hit 30kg with each hand even being a newbie? Is this true? I don't know if he said me to push more or was really telling the truth? Did any newbie here achieve same in 3m time span? My friend also agreed to what my coach said
I have two chest session in a week, consisting of flat chest dumbell press, cable fly, decline dumbell fly, at 2nd session incline dumbell...rest same... am I too weak ?

Replies

• Retroguy2000
    Retroguy2000 Posts: 1,521 Member
    Options
    Check here.

https://strengthlevel.com/strength-standards/dumbbell-bench-press

That's on a 1RM, per db. There's a 1RM calculator at the site. If you're curious, you can add about 20% from db bench to estimate barbell bench.

First impressions based on your limited info, you're doing fine, especially considering you're training in a calorie deficit. Definitely yes train your chest (and back and legs) twice weekly if you've only been doing those once.

What is your proposed weekly volume? At 2 sessions and 3 exercises each, I assume that's 18+ working sets? That's high for your level. For a beginner lifter, 10-15 sets, not to failure, should be enough. As you get more experience, that will go up. If you start the journey with high volume, where do you go next?