Creatine questions

Options
So looking to add Creatine to help with my body composition. I’m still 20 lbs away from my goal weight however I have lost inches without losing a lot on the scale.

Now I know with creatine I will gain some weight due to water weight but my questions are

1) if I’m still in a cutting phase( I intermittent fasting to help keep me in a deficit) will it help still shed inches and change my body look?

2) does all creatine work the same or is there some better than others?

3) does creatine then mess up your TDEE numbers or should you still leave them as is?

Appreciate any responses.

Replies

• Retroguy2000
    Retroguy2000 Posts: 1,521 Member
    edited November 2023
    Options
    Creatine doesn't do any of that.

It helps you do more reps if you are doing progressive overload, which in turn helps you to build more strength and muscle.

Not everyone responds to it, though it won't do any harm.

You'll probably gain 2-4 pounds water weight at first.

You don't need to "load" it in the first week. You can if you want, but after a month you'll have the same amount in your system either way.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,198 Member
    edited November 2023
    Options
    What Retro said.

There may be some cognitive benefits as well, though research on that is fairly preliminary. There are some hints of other exercise-related benefits, but less well-documented.

It may have an effect on body composition, but I suspect that's likely as a consequence of the more effective workouts it enables rather than a direct thing.

I didn't gain observable water weight, and it didn't change my TDEE (I know of no reason to believe it would).

Creatine monohydrate is cheap and effective. Consume water with it to avoid possible digestive side effects.
  • nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 9,113 Member
    Options
    I gained a pound of two of water weight initially, but that's long gone now. I eat the same now as I did before starting.