Giving up sugar, chips, fast food, and pop...What have you given up and gained?

Options
Ok, I have pretty much given up pop, I will have zero sugar Starry lemon- lime once a week. It doesn't control me anymore.

I gave up sugar free French Vanilla Iced Coffees from Mc Donald's.
I gave up drinking unsweetened tea with 2 packets of Equal daily.

I went to the grocery store to look at some old desserts I have eaten in the past, between the carbs and the calories....how many hours would that take to exercise off? It wasn't worth it. I bought a Thanksgiving mum instead. Win! I do occasionally get Wendy's Chili or Chick Filet grilled chicken nuggets, salads, or their fruit salad with a Large water.

I'm an old fast food junkie, I don't crave fast food so much anymore, I think it is way overpriced for what it is. I's rather have steak, salad, and a potato.

Candy-I used to eat sugar free candy and stopped that. I tried buying the fun size. That is a mistake for me. My go to now is dark chocolate covered almonds or a Hershey's bar with almonds. Usually I can detach 2 pieces and savor those, yet I ate the whole thing last week. My stomach, the next morning felt, very sick. I am not used to that much sugar anymore.

Ice cream-I buy the single serving Hagen Das. Sure it is more expensive, but I don't have calorie remorse. Sometimes I can eat 2 Tbsp., and be fine.

Chips and crackers-I only have chips once in a while with tuna fish. Crackers, I count them out for my soup, laughing cow cheese and 15 Wheat Thins, I used to have a problem with these.

Pizza-I eat a large salad with plenty of vegetables before going out to eat at a pizza place, and drink water. Surprisingly, two pieces are enough. Before, I would eat 4 pieces or a whole pizza. The thoughts of doing that make me sick now.

Chinese buffets-I used to get 2-3 plates and not think anything of it. Now, that grosses me out. I order off of the menu and split the entrée in half. I've been known to keep a cup and half a cup in my purse (in a Ziploc bag), so I can measure it out for portion control.

All these changes have taken time. I eat much more vegetables and fruit and I have increased my water.

Somedays, though, it seems like too much, and I get overwhelmed. I miss the chemical reaction in my brain from eating certain foods...sugar is 1 molecule away from cocaine. I do miss the high from eating sugar. I know I shouldn't eat it due to inflammation in our bodies...it gets exhausting at times.

I started drinking lemon and ginger tea at night. During the day I drink decaf with cinnamon or green tea with mint instead of pop.

With the holiday season quickly approaching before us, do you have a plan to do the least
amount of damage for the holidays? Share your strategy.

Replies

• kiteflyer105
    kiteflyer105 Posts: 128 Member
    edited November 2023
    Options
    I have gained more energy, better sleep, less stomach issues, my stomach has shrank, I can move around better. It is worth it, yet sometimes super challenging.

My strategy is protein first then veggies. Save the carbs for last.
  • Ll0ydD0bler
    Ll0ydD0bler Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I sympathize 100% with your entire post. I've been to Taco Bell once in a year. McD's maybe 4 times and only had the fries once. Wendy's was my go-to and I've eaten there twice in a year. Just too many calories to fit in the budget. I used to get a DQ Blizzard every Friday night. I've had 4 in the last year.

I found some frozen greek yogurt bars that taste great to sub out for the 20 oz of ice cream I used to eat every other night, and as a replacement for candy I freeze grapes. The cold makes you eat them slower too. As for hearty meals, Asian food has been my salvation. Teriyaki pork on rice is only like 1200 cal for a restaurant serving, and I'm stuffed after half of it! Thai is the same way. Americanized Chinese food is a little heavier but even then it's better than fast food.

As for everything else, yeah it's just portion control and knowing you will be full enough on half the food. I get a small pizza and have no leftovers now. I used to get two extra large and eat them over 3 meals. Rather than carrying measuring cups, my trick for restaurants is I just make sure I divide the meal as exactly in half as I can, and then take it home and weigh the half I didn't eat. I've become very good at estimating weight and volume after a year of measuring.

And yeah the list of benefits is long. Getting big happens so slowly that you don't realize all the things you're losing.
  • kiteflyer105
    edited November 2023
    Options
    I have never tried frozen grapes. I eat sugar free popsicles for a treat or go to Dairy Queen for a junior kid's cone or Jr. Frosty every once in a great while.

Nice job on the fast food. I want to get to the point that I only order ice water. I am joining Weight Watchers. I need real life support too.

I already strategically planned my Thanksgiving dinner. I know I will have 2 protein shakes each with 30 g of protein. I will eat a fruit with lunch. The key for me is to savor my food slowly and engage in the conversation, and feeding the dogs turkey too. Lol. I need to get my exercise done in the morning.

There are so many changes to make on one's own health journey. I can only take one day at a time. Happy Thanksgiving for the US Residents. Think about strategic plan and execution. Good luck.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,389 Member
    edited November 2023
    Options
    Nothing, really. I just eat less and stay within my calorie budget.

Have to say though that I only ever eat out on vacation, never liked sweet drinks, and the only ever take away I did was sushi or a kebab.
  • Hope_bay74
    Hope_bay74 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    Thank you kiteflyer for sharing. This is where I aspire to be. I am turning 50 in February and am trying to break the sugar and bad food addiction. I just had a full hysterectomy in August and am starting to feel much better. Now, I need to get my eating and weight under control.

Anyone, Please feel to add me if you would like an accountability buddy.
  • kiteflyer105
    Options
    Hope_bay74-I had a hysterectomy many years ago and gained 30 lbs. in a month; I have Binge Eating Disorder. It was very difficult to accept I would never be a mom. That was solely grief eating. I lost that weight and want to get to 190 lbs. next. My prayers go out to your heart and your current situation. Best of luck!
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,287 Member
    Options
    I did it differently this time. I revisited the knowledge i had lost as i regained my weight. I looked up the healthiest foods to eat. Studied the list.. and that is what i'm eating. So, i think of what i am going to eat.. not what i can't.

..So.. yeah.. oatmeal, almonds avocado.. fish.. eggs.. green vegetables .. sweet potatoes, crucifurious vegetables, tomatos ..olive oil, green tea.
  • Corina1143
    Corina1143 Posts: 2,909 Member
    Options
    I did it differently this time. I revisited the knowledge i had lost as i regained my weight. I looked up the healthiest foods to eat. Studied the list.. and that is what i'm eating. So, i think of what i am going to eat.. not what i can't.

..So.. yeah.. oatmeal, almonds avocado.. fish.. eggs.. green vegetables .. sweet potatoes, crucifurious vegetables, tomatos ..olive oil, green tea.

Sounds good to me. I could live happily on that stuff!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,510 Member
    Options
    My strategy is the same I share with my clients. Figure out the way you like to eat and make sure that you at the very least meet your RDA for macro/micro nutrients and stay within a calorie range for whatever goal you're trying to achieve.
    For me, NO FOOD or DRINK is off limits. I just take responsibility for the calories I take in and don't exceed my target number. Of course I'll exceed it on ocassion but by in large I stick to it daily. I've stayed within the 190lbs weight limit for a couple of decades now with the exception of a few years ago.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 35+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • nolongergordo
    nolongergordo Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I gave up anything peanut related.
    I could easily eat a 200g bag of nuts and gain 1200 kcals on top of what I've eaten.
    As for peanut butter I'm terrible.

With these off my list I can eat a lot of other things in moderate quantity and still be in a deficit come bed time.

Lose the treat, gain the freedom to indulge elsewhere and still lose lbs.
  • kiteflyer105
    edited December 2023
    Options
    Thank you ninerbuff. Your input makes sense. Thank you nolongergordo, Thank God peanut butter does not tempt me at all . I count out 12 nuts per serving though, almonds, cashews, walnuts, or pistachios. I have figured out I can have 2 pieces of pizza with a large salad and be good. Sometimes I eat less calories at breakfast and lunch to have 3 whole pieces, large salad, with clear pop. That is my biggest treat. Or 1x a month cheeseburger from a pub though.

Being a Binge Eater for years, I can abstain severely and then binge eat. Quite honesty, it is a sick cycle that needs to stop. I am relearning healthy eating again. I am working with my nutritionist to decrease bingeing. I will go to Eating Disorders clinic after my heart surgery. Moderation is very difficult for me with certain foods. I will never again bring a box of Little's Debbie's into my house ever again. That is the kiss of death of me. It is a lover that I can't rid myself of, so I don't buy it. That would be crazy making for a food addict. I am realistic with myself.

I honestly returned food after Thanksgiving, because I bought too much. I have NEVER done this in my life. I replaced the junkie food with healthy food. I felt better for it. This Christmas I will not eat my self into a food coma with cookie oblivion. I value my body more than that.

The only fast food I m going to eat is Wendy's chili occasionally. I don't like most fast food anymore, which is good. I am so ticked off at Mc Donald's for having a snack size Filet-o-fish! I know this is terrible food for anyone. In high school a McDonald's hamburger was 40 cents, now it is $1.99 for nothing.

This year I vow to make it at least 6 months without fast food. I know I can do that. I have built up my strength over time. Good luck everyone.
  • kiteflyer105
    Options
    Repost la0pzoslmai3.jpg
  • SherryRueter
    SherryRueter Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    So good!

90% no soda ... It doesn't control me anymore. It kinda makes me ill.
    99% no artificial sweetener packets. (Although some skinny coffee syrups).
    95% no creamer. Using Protein power, I like it so much better.
    80% no fast food. I will order grilled chicken or a small chicken nugget. Rarely dipping sauce.

Working on plain water. Presently doing the powdered crystal light types.

Candy - Rarely have sugar free candy. Sometimes a little chocolate....a couple squares.
    When I've eaten a lot of sugar or had a "hit" of it, I tend to go into cocaine mode. Then get very sick. it impacts my mood and my marriage. Its like introducing my family to a devil.

Ice cream-I rarely have any. a few times a year... I do enjoy putting some greek yogurt the freezer to have.

Chips. rarely. maybe 2 in a bowl of soup for fun. I use Light Laughing cow, one cheese wedge a day if it seems to fit into my meal. Otherwise - i am cheeseless on my foods. I have them remove it from salads or an occasional sandwich.

Pizza-I would rather eat a salad. Most times I don't have pizza, just the family does. In the past sure... 4 slices.... but that was forever ago. the salad only has been my thing for the past 2 years.

Chinese - maybe 1/mo. not a go to. If we have it I get the burbon chicken.

I do eat my share of veggies in a day...intentionally though, its not mindless yet. Fruit is almost mindless.

Original poster, you mention you miss the chemical reaction. I get that. I do miss the high but the crash is tearing my relationship with my spouse apart. I opened up to him about how its been an addiction to me etc. and how I need to really work on not having certain foods.

Your lemon and ginger tea - I need to do that. Thanks for the idea.

With the holiday season quickly approaching before us, do you have a plan to do the least
    amount of damage for the holidays? Share your strategy.
  • AdahPotatah2024
    AdahPotatah2024 Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    Eating at restaurants for the most part..I challenged myself to only eat out if it's a social thing and then to have an appetizer and drink only. It is saving me money and a few pounds.
  • kiteflyer105
    Options
    My strategy for the holidays was to have a half a plate of salad and focus on whole foods. I did have several Christmas cookies. Then I have stopped. I am proud of you for giving up pizza. I am not there yet.